How to Make Comforting Milk Toast
What is Milk Toast?
One of my favorite things to have for breakfast is milk toast. In my house it has always been called cinnamon toast with milk over it. If you want the recipe, the last sentence pretty much says it all. It is a comfort food. It is great on a cold morning or for snuggling up on the sofa with a bowlful to watch a movie.
This, as the majority of comfort foods I suspect, are what would be considered "poor man's food" or war-time foods but good things last.
This is also a good food for someone who has been ill. It warms you up but it isn't too spicy or strong. Perfect for recuperation.
Rate milk toast
Selecting the bread
First select the bread. Whether you use wholemeal, white, home made or store bought, the choice is yours. Whichever is your favorite can be used. I like to use two slices for one bowl of milk toast
Toast until golden brown.
- 2 slices Bread, white or brown
- Butter or margarine
- 250 ml Milk, any type
- Toast your bread until golden. Using either butter or margarine, spread to the edges of your toast.
- Because you will be adding milk, you will probably want more cinnamon and sugar than you would normally have on your cinnamon toast. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over the buttered toast.
- Break the toast into small bite sized pieces and place into a bowl. Set aside.
- Warm 250 ml (1 cup) of milk, nonfat, lowfat or full fat either in a saucepan on the stove or in a microwave. If you are using a microwave, 1.5 minutes will be enough. The milk shouldn't boil. If you are using a saucepan on a stove, it will be necessary to stir it to keep it from catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Once your milk has reached your desired temperature, pour over the cinnamon toast pieces. Your milk toast is now ready to eat.
- *****Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired******
A healthier option
This is a perfect quick treat. It can be eaten instead of a dessert and is much healthier than some. Once your kids get a taste for it, it can also be served instead of a tradtional and costly breakfast cereal. It is healthier than most breakfast cereals at your supermarket as well.
I always think one of the best things to give a child leaving home is a cookbook, it makes them more independent I feel.
This is a great one, the food they want when they are away from home.
How to make cornmeal mush
- How to make cornmeal mush
You may never have heard of it but mush is made using cornmeal, water and salt. It makes a tasty breakfast cereal or it can be fried. This is a traditional family favorite and once you try it, you will realize just how easy it is to make and enjoy.