What is mutton? Simply put, mutton is an older domestic sheep. When cooking mutton it is important to note that the meat is richer in flavor than younger sheep, however it can be quite tough if not prepared correctly. Most chefs recommend that mutton be cooked slowly, thus allowing the meat to tenderize. Here are some easy and delicious mutton recipes that you can try at home.
Public domain photo courtesy Wikimedia/4028mdk09
Have you ever tried mutton?
Easy Mutton Curry Recipe
This mutton curry recipe is quite spicy, so feel free to adjust the spices to your taste. This is curry is excellent served over cooked rice.
- 1 lb mutton
- 1 chopped onion or onion paste
- 1 chopped tomato or tomato paste
- 1 chopped potato ( fry the potatoes and keep aside)
- 1 tbs ginger paste
- 1 tbs garlic paste
- 1/2 tbs turmeric powder
- 1 tbs coriander powder
- 2 tbs mutton curry powder
- 1 tbs red chili powder
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves for garnish
- vegetable oil
1) Clean the mutton pieces and keep it aside.
2) Take pressure cooker add mutton, salt, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste and add water close the cooker.
3) After 4 or 5 whistlings, mutton is cooked, place in a bowl.
4) In a pressure cooker add oil, garlic-ginger paste, bay leaves and stir for 2 minutes in a low flame.
5) Add onion and fry till golden color.
6) Add coriander powder, red chili powder, mutton masala and again fry for 2 minutes.
7) Add tomato or tomato paste and stir it well.
8) Then add potatoes and mutton pieces and stir it constantly for 10 minutes in a medium flame.
9) Add water and let it simmer for 15 minutes in a medium flame.
10) Cook till there is a little water left.
11) Garnish with coriander leaves.
12) Serve with hot rice or chapati's.
Deep Fried Mutton Keema Vada
This recipe involves deep frying, but the mutton balls can be fried in a skillet as well.
- 2/3 lb. Minced mutton
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 Strings coriander
- 3 Green chilles, or to taste
- 1 Piece (1/2 inch) Ginger
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons bengal gram flour (besan)
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for deep frying
Mix grind mitton, green chilly, coriander, ginger and garlic; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add Bengal gram flour, onion and salt. Add mutton mixture and mix well. Form into small balls and flatten gently.
Deep fry ball mixture until they turn golden brown.
Links to More Mutton Recipes
- Mutton Recipes - Home Cooking
Mutton Recipes. Mutton requires extra cooking time to tenderize but can be used in most lamb recipes.
- Indian Mutton Recipe - Mutton Curry Recipes
Our Mutton Recipes section contains a variety of Indian mutton recipes. Mutton is eaten in various forms in India such as Mutton Curry, Mutton Kababs, Mutton Korma and more.
- Healthy Mutton Recipes
Mutton contains less cholesterol than beef and pork, these Healthy Mutton Recipes include Mutton(Lamb) Slices Stew, Crisp Fried Mutton, Roast Mutton Kebabs Recipe,etc
- Mutton Curry Recipe | Group Recipes
Our most trusted Mutton Curry recipes. Reviewed by millions of home cooks.
- Mutton Soup Recipe
CooksRecipes.com, quick and easy delicious mutton soup recipe.
Mutton Biryani Recipe
This mutton stew recipe takes longer to prepare than the above mutton recipes, some chefs like to substitute rice for the potatoes.
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion
- pinch of seasoning
- pinch of salt and pepper
- pinch of mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 3 diced tomatoes
- 2 to 3 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 small - medium potatoes cut into quarters
- 1 lb. cubed mutton pieces
1) Pour 2 - 4 tablespoons of oil in a large pot. When the oil has been heated, place the diced onion, minced garlic, pinch of mixed herbs, seasoning, salt and pepper. Fry the onions for approximately 2 - 3 minutes on a medium heat.
2) Mix in the diced tomatoes into the onions. Allow the onions and the tomato mixture to simmer for approximately 4 minutes on a low to medium heat.
3) Add the mutton pieces into the onion and tomato mixture and allow to simmer on a low heat until the meat is tender or for approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Add 1 to 2 cups of water to cook the mutton.
4) Finally, add the mixed vegetables and the potatoes to the mutton stew and allow the mixture to cook until the mixed vegetables and the mutton are tender.