Vegan Kale and Chorizo Soup
Vegan Soup for Everyone
As you go vegan, it can be hard to adapt some of your favorites to your new dietary restrictions. Luckily, my favorite kale and chorizo soup was not one of them. Several brands of vegan chorizo are now on the market and all of them will work exactly the same as meat in both flavor and texture. You won’t miss out on anything!
Great for your vegan and vegetarian friends as well as anyone who enjoys a healthy, delicious soup ready in no time.
- 1 12 oz package vegan chorizo sausage
- 1 sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz bunch kale, chopped
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large russet potato, chopped
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Cook the onion and vegan chorizo on medium-high heat per package instructions. Stir and separate the sausage often as it cooks to break it into very small pieces.
- Once the onion and chorizo are cooked through, add the garlic and saute an additional 2 minutes stirring often so the garlic does not burn.
- Add one cup of vegetable stock to the pot to deglaze the bottom, scraping up any seasoning and sausage that sticks.
- Add the remaining stock, the can of tomatoes with its juices, the potatoes, chickpeas, and kale to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-high heat. Cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Let cool and serve. Soup can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
© 2014 Zylo