My Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Delicious Ice Cream Sandwiches
August is the last month of summer for us here in Tokyo. Our summers are rediculously hot and humid. There are all sorts of ways to help cool the body down. What could be better and tastier than ice cream? The month of August is filled with National food holidays and one of my favorite is Ice Cream Sandwich Day.
I can still remember the first time I had my first ice cream sandwich. I was 5 years old and had just moved to Hawaii with my mother. I love how convenient it is to eat them, no utensils required. The combination of soft cookie with cold and luscious ice cream is pure heaven.
I now live in Tokyo where one can find various types of ice cream including ice cream sandwiches that you can't find elsewhere. During the summer I find myself eating ice cream at least once everyday. Sure they aren't the healthiest food around but hey, I don't smoke and I don't drink. I work out and I watch my diet. I deserve some ice cream don't you think?
Image courtesy ofrakratchada torsap / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
80 percent of the world's Vanilla Bean used for ice cream is grown in Madagascar.
Ice Cream Sandwich Books
It's easy to make ice cream sandwiches at home. It's usually better too because you can get as creative as you want by mixing different flavors and coming up with new combinations.
You can find lots of books on the internet today. Here are some of my favorites!
Best Ice Cream Sandwiches in America
I'm sure we all have our favorite ice cream parlors. Here in Tokyo, ice cream and other frozen desserts are a hit especially during the hot summer months. Many of the major American chains have shops here in Japan such as Baskin Robbins and Cold Stone Creamery. I've also seen a few dairy queens here in Tokyo.
As for ice cream sandwiches, I only know of the kind that you can buy in stores. We can also get them from theme parks like Tokyo Disneyland. However I was surprised to find that in America, ice cream sandwiches can be purchased from many places. I remember one called This Is It when I was a kid. That was one of the most delectable ice cream sandwich I've ever had in my life! I haven't seen it anywhere these days.
Here is a list of the best ice cream sandwiches in three of the major cities of the United States. Beware...you may have intense cravings for an ice cream sandwich!
Japanese Ice Cream Sandwiches - Here are some of the various ice cream sandwiches you can find in Japan.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
Don't have time to bake a cake? An ice cream sandwich cake may be what you need. Takes almost no time at all and uses the simplest of ingredients. Here's a great video showing you how easy it is to make these delicious cakes!
One of the most favorite ice cream topping is chocolate.
This easy-to-make recipe uses store-bought ingredients and requires no cooking. This cake is always a crowd pleaser and is cooling on a hot day.
- 6 vanilla ice cream sandwiches
- 1 cup whipped cream or cool whip
- 1 package instand vanilla pudding mix
- 16 oreo cookies
- chocolate syrup
- maple syrup
- 1. Prepare a sheet of aluminum foil large enough for the cake. The size of the cake will be slightly larger than a stack of 6 ice cream sandwiches. Width is approximately 3 ice cream sandwiches lined side by side and the height being 2 ice cream sandwiches stacked one on top of the other.
- 2. Add one package of instant vanilla pudding mix into the whipped cream. Add 8 crushed oreos into the mixture and mix well.
- 3. Line the foil with 3 ice cream sandwiches in the center. Cover with a generous portion of the whipped cream mixture. Drizzle with chocolate syrup. Place the remaining ice cream sandwiches on top of the mixture and press down gently. Cover the entire cake with the remaining whipped cream mixture. Drizzle the top with chocolate syrup and crushed oreos. If you have any remaining oreos left, you can use them to decorate the cake.
- 4. Lightly cover the cake with the foil and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- Note: If the cake is too hard after freezing, let it thaw for a bit before cutting.
My Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich Cake - Here are some pictures to make it easier for you.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Ice Cream Sandwich Essentials
This is my favorite instant pudding mix. They taste great by itself as a dessert.
I've always loved the taste of ghirardelli chocolate.
I've been experimenting with different maple syrups and I found this to be one of my favorites.
Classic ice cream sandwiches. This comes in a box of 24 so I think it's quite reasonable.
Who eats the most ice cream?
Oreo and Fudge Ice Cream Cake
This one is so easy to make and delicious! This is one of the first ice cream cakes I made and it is virtually fool-proof!
What do you think?
Have you ever tried an ice cream sandwich cake?
Please leave your comments here and tell me your stories.