Regular Or No Sugar Added Cinnamon Vanilla Bread Pudding Recipe
You Either Love It... Or You've Never Had It!
Well, perhaps there might be one or two people in the whole world who have tasted warm cinnamon vanilla bread pudding and it wasn't their cup of tea... but I'm certainly not one of them! As a kid, I'd know that exquisite fragrance wafting through the open kitchen windows before I hit the back door coming home from school.
About 20 years ago I finally mastered the art of making great bread pudding. While I rarely make it now on my strict no-sugar diet, it's the one item on a dessert buffet that will instantly make me throw the diet rules to the wind, consequences be damned!
So, you might ask, "What IS Bread Pudding?"
First of all, there is no pudding in bread pudding to speak of, but there is bread! Confused? Rightfully so! I'll eliminate any confusion with my brand new low carb version of my old favorite! And since Halloween is coming up before we know it, I'll even share my itty bitty true ghost story about bread pudding with you!
Try to keep an open mind as you explore bread pudding - if you can get past the name, you may just find something new threaten your diet too!
Get The Pan I Use! - You Will LOVE This!
I recently bought this pan and it is the new rock star of my kitchen, making a lot more than lasagna! This pan feels subtantial but isn't overly heavy. It has wonderful handles you can get a good grip on. And shoot... isn't it just pretty?
The "Too Much Month At The End Of The Money" Dessert!
See that nice lump of vanilla frosting melting on top of the hot bread pudding? It just begs for a fork, doesn't it?
Bread puddings were created out of of frugality - to find a use for stale bread that would otherwise not be eaten.
The beautiful thing about bread pudding is that it's often used as a dessert you can still put together even when the cabinets are on the low side before payday! Most recipes are made with staples you always have on hand such as milk or Half & Half, Vanilla, white and brown sugar, eggs, and cinnamon.
Always better served warm, try Bread Pudding topped with whipped cream, caramel sauce, ice cream, even vanilla frosting!
Sheila's "Legal Version" - The One Pictured Here!
Heidi, my friend, wanted to learn how to make bread pudding so we made it a "pudding party!" Here, her daughter Nicole tears up all the bread.
For a sugar-free version, do everything the same, except:
- Substitute regular Splenda for the white sugar
- Substitute Splenda brown sugar blend for the brown sugar
- Substitute Pillsbury Sugar Free Vanilla Frosting for the vanilla frosting
- Omit the Demarara Sugar if you want to. (I leave mine in, I just use a bare sprinkle).
Bread Pudding On YouTube? - You Betcha!
Prep Time: 15 min.
Total Time: 45-50 minutes
- 6 cups slightly stale Rotella Italian Bread
- toasted and torn into pieces
- 1.5 cups Half & Half
- 3 eggs
- slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 Stick Real Butter plus additional butter for buttering pans
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 Tsp. Allspice
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Tsp. Real Vanilla
- Small amount of Demarara Sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350
- Lightly toast the bread in the oven or in a toaster. Tear into bite size pieces. Set aside in well-buttered baking pan(s).
- In large saucepan or Dutch Oven, heat all ingredients except the eggs, Demarara Sugar and Vanilla until mixture comes just to a boil and a film starts to form on top. Remove from heat, let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in Vanilla and the three slightly beaten Eggs. Add bread to mixture and stir well to combine.
- Place individual well buttered baking pans inside a 13 X 9 cake pan or a large lasagna pan. (We are baking in a Bain Marie, or water bath). Ladle bread mixture into pans. Pour water to level halfway up sides of baking pans, being careful not to splash water in pans! Bake in 350 oven for 45-50 minutes or until centers test done. Centers should be moist but not runny.
- Remove pans from water to cool slightly for about 10 minutes. Invert puddings onto serving plates, sprinkle about a teaspoon of Demarara sugar on each pudding, and top each with a tablespoon or so of Vanilla frosting, desired sauce and/or other toppings desired.
Make Beautiful Individual Bread Puddings With This Pan!
This recipe made enough for six individual rose pans plus an 8" square baking dish. I did the square dish with nectarines on the bottom, and pecans on the top layer. It'll be delicious when I eventually bake it! It went straight to the freezer.
How To "Legalize" Just About Any Bread Pudding Recipe! - So It Won't Blow That Diet After All!
It's all about substitutions. In any bread pudding recipe, substitute any or all of these items:
- Egg Beaters for Regular Eggs
- 2% or Skim Milk for Regular Milk, Half & Half or Cream
-Whole Grain Bread for Regular Bread Or Rolls (the milder the flavor, the better)
-Low Fat Margarine for Butter or Regular Margarine
- Splenda or other sweetener for Regular Sugar & Brown Sugar
Heidi butters the individual molds pan.
This was the first time I had tried my new lower carb version of my original recipe, and everyone loved it! You simply could not tell the difference between this version and the one with all the real sugar!
What Do You Think? - Come On, You Can Tell Me!
What Are Your Thoughts On Bread Pudding?
The fruit version was made by adding fresh sliced nectarines to the bottom of the individual pan before adding the bread mixture. My husband loved it - he asked me to make his with nectarines when he heard I was making them!
Individual Bread Pudding Bakers On eBay!
Not only very cool looking, but a way to eliminate the problem faced with bakers of bread pudding –uniform doneenss!
It's A Hot Debate! - Raisins... Or Something Else?
How do you like your bread pudding?
Now Here's That Tiny Ghost Story I Promised! - I Swear... This Is True!
One day I was battling with my third attempt at replicating my late Mom Izzy's fabulous Bread Pudding. The two previous versions just didn't have the right consistency. They were either too milky, or too dry.
So I'm standing there at my mixing bowl trying to come up with the just-right ingredient combination. I hear my Mom's voice (never was sure if it was audible or in my head) clear as a bell saying, "Just do it like you do your dressing, honey." That was IT! The answer!! I always made perfect dressing for the turkey at Thanksgiving just by looking at it - the unbaked mixture has to be a certain consistency. So that was it! I instantly saw the correlation, finished up mixing the pudding and yes, it was perfect!
You can freeze your bread pudding either unbaked to save prep time later, or baked to save for a future meal! Freeze bread pudding in an airtight container for up to one month.
This lens was awarded Squidoo's prestigious Purple Star on September 19, 2012. Thanks, Squidoo!