Naturally Sweet Cole Slaw Vegetable Salad Recipe
Get Your Greens!!!
100 ideas that will ensure that your salad NEVER gets boring.
- 1/8 Cabbage, (medium)
- 1/8 Green Sweet Pepper, (large)
- 1 Carrot, (medium)
- 1 handful Raisins
- 1/4 Cucumber, (medium)
- 1 Tomato, (small)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard
- 1 heaped tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice, (to keep vegetables fresh)
Surprising Benefits from Your Green Vegetables
In her article titled 'Embracing All Things Green' on Oprah.com, Aine McAteer highlights so many benefits of green vegetables that I am anxious to share with you my cole slaw (vegetable salad) recipe with three (3) green vegetables - Cabbage, Cucumber & Green Sweet Pepper - that I whip up on a regular basis.
Some of those health benefits of green vegetables that she pointed out include ridding your body of toxins, helping ...the blood to deliver oxygen to all the cells of the body... [and providing you with a host of]...vital nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, potassium and vitamins, including vitamins C, K, E and B".
I have also included a natural sweetener, raisins, which eliminates the need to add any kind of sugar or artificial sweetener to your salad dressing.
This salad is really simple to make and goes well with any rice, macaroni, or root crop dishes and pies (such as Irish or sweet potatoes, yams, dasheen).
Image credit: All photos are compliments Heidi Vincent.
Display all those lovely colours and fresh juicy vegetables in your green garden salads with this transparent, shatterproof salad bowl.
- Wash all vegetables thoroughly in a bowl of water and salt.
- Cut the cabbage into thin strips with a knife. Scrape the thin outer film on the carrot, wash and grate on the shredding side of your grater.
- Add 1 handful of raisins to the mix.Mix the mustard, mayonnaise and lemon juice together into a sauce/salad dressing.
- Add in the mustard-mayonnaise sauce (or a sauce/salad dressing of your choice) Mix together all of the ingredients well and lay aside.
- Slice the cucumber into even slices (about 1/3 of a millimeter thick)
- Line a dish of your choice with the cucumber slices. Slice the tomato into even 1/3 millimeter slices and line them on top of the cucumber slices.
- Spoon the cole slaw into the middle of the dish.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Serve and enjoy along with your favourite main dish!
If you don't like EATING your green vegetables, then here are some great drink recipes that will allow you to still get in your greens.
What's YOUR favourite type of salad?
© 2014 Heidi Vincent