- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Needhams - Maine's Favorite Candy
The Unofficial Candy of the State of Maine
Needhams are a traditional potato candy for Mainers. They are especially popular during the holidays and just about everyone has a recipe. The base for the filling is actually mashed potatoes!
NOTE: These are not a low calorie treat. I'm a home baker so I don't know the calorie or carb count but they are low in neither.
- 3/4 cup mashed potato
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 (1 lb.) pkgs. confectioner's sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 lb. flaked coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 (12 oz.) pkg. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 sqares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cake (2 1/2" x 2 1/2") paraffin wax (2 1/2" x 2 1/2")
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes. Fill a 2 quart pot with water and add salt. Boil potatoes until soft. Drain and place in bowl. Mash potatoes with 1 stick melted butter, add confectioner's sugar, coconut, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture out on waxed paper or a buttered cookie sheet. Place in fridge to cool. When hard, cut into small squares. Alternatively you can roll the potato mixture into balls then cool.
- In a double boiler or very carefully over the stove, add parafin. When the wax is melted add both kinds of chocolate, melt, and stir well to mix.
- Dip the filling squares into the chocolate mixture, place on waxed paper to cool.
- Makes 4-6 dozen needhams depending on size. Store in the refrigerator.
Jazz Up Your Needhams
Try one of these variations:
1: Roll warm needhams in more shaved coconut or sprinkle some on top.
2: Add chopped almonds to the filling.
3: Spread chopped or whole almonds on top of warm needhams.
4: Sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top.
5: Sprinkle cocoa powder on top.
6: Add chopped walnuts on top.
7: Mix fresh or dried fruit into the filling.
8: Top with fresh strawberries or blueberries.
Rate this recipe
Needham Variations and Other Maine Desserts
- Needham Ice Cream - Coconut Ice Cream With Chocolate Chunks
This easy ice cream tastes like an old-fashioned Needham candy bar. It's made with coconut cream, chunks of semisweet chocolate, and flaked coconut.
- Whoopie Pie, Whoopie Pie History and Recipe
Whoopie Pie, History and Recipe of Whoopie Pie
- Famous Maple Fudge Recipe
Maple has its own unique list of recipes. One of the finest of these recipes is the Maple Fudge Recipes.