- Food and Cooking»
- Food For Kids
Create a One Dish Meal that Offers a Variety of Selection for Your Family
Create a Simple One Dish Meal that Offers a Variety of Selection for Your Family
I will be the first to admit that cooking is not one of my favorite tasks. There are many other things I would rather be doing.
I have a magnet on my fridge that reads: "God gives food but does not cook it." So I am constantly on the lookout for simple one dish meals.
I created this one dish meal from leftovers one evening. I wanted Mexican food without going out to eat. I didn't want to stand at the stove for long. I was hungry and creativity hit.
Lucky for me it has turned out to be a big hit not only in our house but the neighbor kids enjoyed it as well. I've passed the recipe a few times.
Now I'm sharing it with you.
There are many variances that this one base dish can become to adjust to your families likes and tastes.
Listed here is the base recipe I start with. Add optional sides provides variety and choice to this one simple dish.
See what options are on my list and then either add or change your list to suit your families taste.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 4-6
- Choice of Meat - Ground Beef or Chicken
- 1 - 15 oz. can Black Beans (do not drain)
- 1 - 15 oz. can Refried Beans (any type will do)
- 1/2 can or small can of white or yellow whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1/2 Cup Precooked Rice
- 1/4 Cup Cheese Sauce any flavor your choice
- 1 can of Ro-Tel or Generic tomato green chili combo
Quick and Easy, It's What's For Dinner Tonight
Here Are Your Instructions
- Cook meat, season to taste with cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder -OR- taco or burrito seasons. Unless you are using extra lean meat, drain excess grease if necessary.
- Once the meat is cooked through then add black beans (or use your bean of choice), re-fried beans, drained corn (either white or yellow), cooked rice and cheese sauce.
- For added flavor add a few dashes of hot sauce. The favorite in our home is Tabasco. I personally prefer either Texas Pete's or Louisiana Hot Sauce.
- Simmer til all ingredients are heated through. Let simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes or even up to 30 minutes to allow flavors to enhance. The main purpose is to heat all ingredients thoroughly but the longer it simmers the more opportunity it allows for flavors to meld together.
Rate This Recipe
Increase the Variety of Choice with Optional Sides
Offering a variety of sides with this recipe increases the interest. It gives your family a way to express themselves with how they will create and build on this meal.
Including some of these optional sides can also add the fun.
Tortilla Chips or Bread - Don't Forget the Sides
We love corn tortilla chips and burrito size tortilla flour bread with all of our Mexican type dishes. Easy, simple, tasty with lots of options to make either a taco salad or a burrito.
They are the perfect side for either the main dish or we use them for some of the sides put out with this recipe.
Any combination of these sides listed here are good choices to make sure that your family is well fed.
Did I say this was easy? Well easy does not begin to describe how quickly this goes together. Lay all sides out as a buffet type style then everyone can create their favorite dish and exactly what they are in the mood for.
Check over the list I have below and see if you can either add or enhance on it.
Simple and easy, it's what's for dinner tonight.
- Sour Cream
- Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Grated Cheese
- Salsa Sauce
- Green Sauce
- Chopped Tomato with green chiles
- Shredded Lettuce
- Taco Shells
- Tortilla Bread and/or Chips
- Hot Sauce
Thanks for Stopping For a Visit
I always like knowing when a guest has been to visit. Please share your favorite sides, tips or ingredients you like best with your Mexican meal below in the comments box.
Now It's Your Turn
Share a favorite recipe with us.
Create your own page and share with our community so that we can learn from you. What's your passion, who are your favorite artists, what is your favorite past time, do you have a favorite recipe? Everyone has something to share and everyone has something to learn.It's as simple as A,B,C or 1,2,3 and believe me........if I can do this.......so can you. Get started today and come back and share with me what you have done. I'll be waiting to hear from you.
© 2011 Teri Hansen