- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
The Best Barbecue Chicken Wings, Super Bowl Approved
I love barbecue chickens wings. Some people prefer hot buffalo wings, but I can do without the heat, I'll stick with BBQ wings thank you very much, and lots of them. These are meant to be baked in the oven as these wings are breaded and coated.
The recipe is easy, a little time consuming, but well worth the investment. You're party guests will be singing your praises by the time they leave your house and asking for the recipe. I'm not into recipes that take a lot of gourmet ingredients, but simple and cupboard friendly.
The first time I made these was for a Super Bowl party in 2009 and many said they were the best chicken wings they every had, so coming from a bunch of football fans that is high praise since more chicken wings are consumed on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year.
The secret to these buffalo wings is to set the timer to remind yourself to turn and coat. Start the wings first before making your other party appetizers and the hour or so will fly by. For example you can prep your bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers as the wings are baking.
- Prep time: 1 hour 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 2 hours 30 min
- Yields: 6
- 3 lbs of split chicken wing sections
- 3 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- salt & pepper
- 3 TBSP honey (optional)
- FAVORITE brand of barbecue sauce
Order Cookies BBQ Sauce OnLine
Cookies Barbeque sauce is a Nebraska brand product and is so good many people have it shipped to them when they move out of the Midwest.
Cookies Barbecue sauce is my favorite, I absolutely love the stuff and always buy the large 76 oz container as we go through it so fast.
My kids use this as an alternative to ketchup and I have sent bottles to both my sons in the Marine Corps.
- Pour 4 cups of milk into a large bowl (large enough to put all the wings)
- Add honey (if desired)
- Add eggs and mix with a wire whisk (or fork, or spoon, whatever you prefer)
- Add thawed chicken wing sections into the milk/egg mixture (add more milk if needed to cover chicken
- Let sit for an hour, or overnight in refrigerator
- Pour flour into a med sized bowl (add salt and pepper)
- DIP soaked chicken wings into flour and coat throughly
- Place on cookie sheet or broiler pan
- BAKE at 425F for 20 minutes (set timer)
- TURN, bake for 15 minutes
- TURN, COAT with favorite BBQ sauce, BAKE for 15 minutes
- TURN, COAT other side with BBQ sauce, BAKE for 10 min
- BROIL for 10 min
Other Regional BBQ Sauces
Famous Dave's is another favorite, my husband likes it better than Cookies, so I normally have to get both varieties.
Our favorite family restaurant is Famous Daves and we always get the "Trash Can Lid" full of chicken, pork, ham, ribs, and brisket.
Another regional BBQ sauce is Blues Hog Tennessee Red Sauce famous at various "Barbecue Joints" in the south.
Great on pulled pork and beef sandwiches it can also be used as a chicken or wild game marinade, seasoning for dirty rice, or daubed straight on meat while grilling.
Rate this recipe
© 2014 Dawn Romine