Oven Fried Chicken
I was looking for a recipe that I could use with the 6 individually wrapped chicken breasts that my neighbor had given me. I make suppers most of the week for the 2 to 4 of us. She had supplied the chicken. I had to decide how I was going to make it.
I wanted an easy to make recipe that required very little from me. I cannot fry chicken on the stove. It always seems to be undercooked. But, I wanted fried chicken. For some reason, my mind went to oven fried chicken.
I Googled Oven Fried Chicken. I came up with quite a few recipes but I didn't have most of the ingredients that they needed. I started thinking about what I had in the house. Finally, I came up with an idea and put it into play.
My neighbor and I really enjoyed these chicken breasts with mashed potatoes, green beans and cream gravy. These chicken breasts were great warmed up the next day. Even though I did not add any herbs or spices to the crushed crackers, there was no need for them. They were perfect.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 15 min
- Yields: 6
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise, approximately (doesn't have to be precise)
- 2 T milk (just enough to thin the mayonnaise)
- 2 rolls of Ritz Fresh Stacks wheat crackers
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse and dry your chicken breasts.
- Mix the mayonnaise and milk in a bowl.
- Crush your Ritz crackers. I just crushed them in the little packages and put them in a gallon ziplock baggie.
- Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on both sides of the chicken breasts. I used my hands to do this.
- Place chicken breast in the gallon baggie with the crushed crackers and shake.
- Place coated chicken breast on a cookie sheet that has been covered with tin foil. I like to do this for easy cleanup.
- Put cookie sheet in the oven in the center rack and bake for 1 hour. About midway through, turn the chicken to brown the bottom.
I love to buy the Fresh Stacks because each individual stack is small enough for snacks and the other stacks stay fresh.
There is nothing like real mayonnaise in cooking and sandwiches.
These are sold by Schwan's. I went to their site and they say this is a 5 pound bag and serves 20.