Moist Banana Cake Recipe: so easy to make
Delicious Moist Banana Cake Recipe
STOP! - Don't throw out those overripe bananas!
This recipe is quick and easy to make and produces a most delectable moist/succulent cake.
It's great for using up any overripe bananas and is so delicious you might want to routinely set aside a couple of fresh bananas just so that you have an excuse to make it more often!
This same moist banana cake recipe can also be used as a birthday cake, in which case you could add an easy to make flavoursome ginger butter icing topping (details below the cake recipe). Unique and Yummy.
This banana cake is yummy just on its own. However, if you ever fancy a change you might try serving it as a dessert with ice cream, cream, or custard.
NB: If you have a Toaster/Mini Oven, you can bake this cake in it and save energy/utility charges as compared with using a large regular oven.
INGREDIENTS - Moist Banana Cake Recipe
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 125g butter
- 150g sugar, - Muscovado Sugar is great for this recipe but any sugar you have handy still make a great cake
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 190g Self Raising Flour
- large pinch of nutmeg (optional but recommended)
- large pinch of mixed spice (optional but recommended)
An additional small Toaster/Mini Oven is great for busy holiday times or if you just don't want to fire up your regular large oven.
COOK TIME - Banana Cake Recipe
* Before you begin, Pre-heat the oven or Toaster/Mini Oven - 170C or Gas Mark 3
INSTRUCTIONS for Moist Banana Cake
- Grease a 2 lb loaf pan or cake tin and line it with grease proof paper to ease removal of cake after baking
- Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a small saucepan and place over a medium heat until butter melts and then remove the saucepan from heat. Mix well.
- Add the mashed overripe bananas, mixing well.
- Add the beaten egg - again mix well.
- Stir in the flour, plus optional nutmeg and mixed spice. Mix well.
- Finally, place the cake mixture in the prepared tin and place in pre-heated oven or toaster/mini oven - 170 C OR Gas Mark 3
- NB: check on the cake after it has been in the oven for 35 minutes and cover with foil if the top of the cake has reached a rich brown colour (to prevent further colouring).
- Bake for a total of 45 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean when tested). ***** scroll down for optional cake topping - Ginger Butter Cream Icing Recipe *****
- 5 Amazing Health Benefits Of Bananas
Bananas are possibly the most favorite fruit worldwide and offer a host of important health benefits. Learn about 5 awesome health benefits of bananas in this article. Read on...
Banana Cake - very moist and so yummy!
GINGER BUTTER CREAM ICING - optional topping
75g butter (NB: butter should be soft/room temperature - i.e.not straight from fridge)
150g icing sugar
2 dessertspoons of ginger preserve/jam (for a delicious somewhat chewy icing) OR 1 teaspoon gound ginger (for a smooth icing)
a pinch of cinnamon (optional)
Ginger Butter Cream Icing
- Place all the butter in a mixing bowl and gradually beat in the icing sugar (with a wooden spoon or electric whisk) until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the ginger preserve/jam OR ground ginger (and optional cinnamon if wanted) and mix well.
- Spread over cake - Enjoy!
Variations - of course you can replace the ginger preserve/jam with other flavourings, maybe experiment with marmalade or strawberry jam.
Do you normally make good use of overripe bananas?
Banana recipes for you to consider ... and related reading
- Banana Milkshake Recipe
The following banana milkshake recipe is an excellent and super quick way of using up overripe bananas. Serve at any time of day and on a variety of occasion. Dress it up a bit in a fancy glass with straws to serve to guests at lunch or a dinner...
- Banana Pudding Recipe - easy and quick!
This delicious easy to make hot banana dessert recipe is quick to prepare and bakes fast - great for when you want to conjure up a hot dessert without any fuss or seemingly endless time waiting around for it to finish cooking. A handy recipe for...
- Banana Bread Recipe - Nuts optional
Here's a quick and easy to make delicous Banana Bread recipe which is great for using up those overripe bananas. You don't need an electric mixer and you won't develop muscles combining the ingredients! It's that easy to make. 4 bananas,...
- Fun banana facts | The Banana Police
- Halogen Oven Review - 3 of the best
Objective Buying Guide to 3 top Halogen Ovens (the good AND the not so good points) to help you ascertain which might be of benefit to you.
- Toaster / Mini Oven - The Breville BOV800XL Smart
The Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven. Does this Toaster/Mini Oven really warrant its asking price - an objective review.
- Fast and Easy to make Banana Treats
If you like bananas you'll definitely enjoy these quickly prepared snacks
© 2013 Esther Strong