The Best-Ever Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
You Are Going To Love This Pancake Recipe
Have you ever heard of Polly's Pancake Parlor in New Hampshire's White Mountains? Food writers have been known to call their pancakes the best in America. We could quibble about whether mine are the best-ever buttermilk pancakes or whether Polly's are. And I will be the first to say that the pancakes served in New Hamshire are very good. I have had them and written about them at Polly's Pancake Parlor. However, this recipe makes homemade pancakes from scratch that are extremely delicious, quite affordable and may well be the best pancakes you ever eat at home!
We have been using this recipe and eating these pancakes for years, maybe as many as or slightly more than 15 years. The recipe was originally printed in the Winnipeg newspaper when we lived there between 1992 and 1996 and was reported to be a recipe that was created from the adaptation of several traditional recipes. The only warning I feel that I must give regarding this homemade pancake recipe is that if you have a family, one batch may not be enough. We always make at least two batches; we often make three.Enjoy!
Picture by abstractgourmet.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs at room temperature although mine never are
- 3 tbsps butter melted
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl mix together the buttermilk, eggs and butter.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring lightly until moistened and leaving small lumps.
- Griddle should be set at 375 degrees.
- Grease a skillet or a griddle with oil or vegetable spray.
- I prefer an electric griddle because it can handle six pancakes at a time which reduces the waiting time
- I use a 2/3 cup measure to spoon the batter onto the griddle. If you are adding blueberries, add them to each pancake on the griddle.
- The recipe says to cook 2 minutes per side; ours take 5 minutes per side probably because we are usually adding frozen blueberries. You can tell when they are ready to flip after tiny bubbles appear and they look a little bit drier.
The Presto 22-Inch Electric Griddle
I prefer to cook my pancakes on a griddle. I definitely find it easier to control the heat with a griddle than with a pan and I like the fact that you can cook many pancakes at one time.
I use a simple griddle like this well-rated one from Amazon, which really is all you need to make pancakes for your family. It measures 22 inches and is a heavy cast aluminum skillet with a nonstick finish, a smooth cooking surface, a grease groove and a removable drip pan.
This griddle is entirely submersible once you have removed the heat control. That's another important consideration since there aren't many kitchen chores that I dislike more than cleaning the griddle.
The Presto 22-inch Electric Griddle
Polly's Tip No. 1
Coat your griddle with a spray like Pam and wipe it afterward. Good pancakes don't need much oil.
Biscuits, Pancakes & Quick Breads Cookbook
More Pancake Recipes
- Marguerite Patten's Ginger Nut Pancake Recipe
Marguerite Pattern, mother of all 'celebrity chefs' has just finished advising Jamie Oliver on is latest book and now is sharing her pancake recipe with FemaleFirst.
- Martha Stewart's Pancakes 101
Martha's six tips for perfect pancakes.
- The Barefoot Contessa's Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
Barefoot Contessa's banana sour cream pancakes as seen on the episode Back to School.
- Pumpkin Spiced Pancakes Recipe : Sandra Lee : Food Network
Food Network invites you to try this Pumpkin Spiced Pancakes recipe from Sandra Lee's show Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra, Episode: Brunch.
- James Beard's Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe From Recipezaar
Buttermilk Pancakes -- A perfect classic recipe from "James Beard's American Cooking."
- 10 flipping tasty pancake recipes - Times Online
Gordon Ramsay, Jill Dupleix and others get to the heart of the batter with the best fillings, toppings and recipes for Shrove Tuesday.
- How To Make Pancakes Video On Times Online
How To Make Pancakes Video on how to make pancakes with Celia Brooks Brown.
- Gordon Ramsay's recipe for Buttermilk pancakes with strawberries and white chocolate sauce
Gordon Ramsay's buttermilk pancakes with strawberries and white chocolate. These light and moreish pancakes are delicious with all kinds of summer fruits, such as a mixture of strawberries, red and white currants, raspberries and blueberries.
Polly's Tip No. 2
Add fruit after putting the batter on the griddle.
Don't Eat Pancakes Without Real Maple Syrup
Highland Sugarworks 100% Organic Grade A Dark Amber Maple Syrup
Well, I wish I could say that every time we eat pancakes, we have real maple syrup but I cannot. Maple syrup has never been inexpensive but over the past year it seems like the price has doubled. However, we always have real maple syrup whenever we have company and it really does make the best-ever pancake even better!
From time-to-time, my sister-in-law has taken to giving us maple syrup as a gift. It is definitely a most appreciated gift and I think it is a wonderful idea to give maple syrup to anyone who loves pancakes.
UPDATE: We're empty nesters now. We use ONLY real maple syrup now, LOL.
Polly's Tip No. 3
Three tablespoons of blueberries is not too much.
Polly's Tip No. 4
Flip your pancakes when the edges firm up and tiny bubbles have appeared.
- My Best-Ever Recipes Collection
Collected over the last twenty years, my best-ever recipes are from various sources and include recipes for special occasions and for everyday meals. You'll find some extraordinary baking ideas, like carrot cake and banana bread, and some holiday...
- Polly's Pancake Parlor
Polly's Pancake Parlor has been in the pancake business since 1938 when the owners opened a 24-seat tearoom and served pancakes in an attempt to boost maple syrup sales. In 1938, the pancakes, waffles and French toast were "All you can eat for 50...
- The Best Indoor Grill: The Cuisinart Griddler Review
Cuisinart griddlers are extremely useful small kitchen appliances. Part countertop grill, part indoor grill and part panini press, you will find all sorts of foods to cook on the Cuisinart Griddler indoor grill.A bit of poking around on Amazon...
- The Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe is by Martha...
One of the foods that I have fond memories of from growing up are biscuits, buttermilk biscuits. They were always buttery and moist and just plain delicious!More recently, I thoroughly enjoyed the freshly baked, homemade biscuits that were delivered.
- The Best-Ever Banana Bread Recipe
Looking for the best banana bread recipe? You've found it!
- The Best-Ever Glazed Baked Ham Recipe
How would you describe the best-ever glazed baked ham recipe? In my opinion, the recipe for the best baked ham would have to be fairly easy to put together and yield an absolutely delicious result. This recipe does just that. It is actually very...
© 2009 Treasures By Brenda