Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe - Homemade Cookies From Scratch
Get Your Peanut Butter Fix With Homemade Cookies
This is the vintage version of peanut butter cookies. Mark them with a fork to get that criss cross on top.
These are the kind we had at home, and the recipe is very easy. Use a standard peanut butter to get the best results.
If you are more adventurous, you can experiment with the many specialty peanut butters out there. Their ingredients, and the ratios of peanuts, oils, shortening and sugar will vary, so that's the reason you will likely need to tweak the recipe.
I like Simply Jif best for these cookies. My next choice would be regular Creamy Jif. If you like crunchy peanut butter, that would be good, too!
Photo by kimbesa
Peanut Butter Cookies Are So Good!
Betty Crocker Classic Cooky Book - Bake Great Cookies All The Time
Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix sugars and egg. Add butter and peanut butter. Add vanilla. Incorporate thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix into creamed mixture, just until mixed.
- Chill dough for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet by lightly coating with shortening, or use cooking spray made for baking.
- Roll dough into balls, about the size of a walnut, and compress them on the cookie sheet with a fork. Bake for about 13 minutes. Place on rack or paper towels to cool.
- Makes about 5 dozen, 2-inch cookies.