- Food and Cooking
When I was newly married, I went to my best friend's apartment. She was also newly married, and we both loved to cook and needed to do it on a budget. She had a pot of pinto beans on the stove. She made burritos by smashing the hot pinto beans down the center of a tortilla, putting onions on the beans then smeared sour cream and sprinkled shredded cheese on top and folded the tortilla. It was so delicious!
Over the years, I have played with the recipe. There are so many ways you can make a burrito. I want to share what I believe is the perfected, best burrito to my taste buds. I do not like any meat on my burrito, but it is all optional. The great thing about a homemade burrito is that everything is on the side and each burrito can be personalized.
You can also spread all ingredients over the entire tortilla and cover it with another and some shredded cheese. Slice it like a pie and serve it as an appetizer. It is always a hit, and it is a great way for others to sample your favorite burrito recipe.
I prefer the burrito over the appetizer because I don't have to share it. The layering is very important to me. I love biting into my burrito and tasting one layer then the next, ending up with all ingredients in one scrumptious bite.
Prep Time: 15
Total Time: 20
Could you make a delicious burrito with these ingredients?
- Pkg large tortillas
- 1 can fat free refried beans
- 1/2 an onion - chopped
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Colby and Jack Cheese (or any type of cheese you love)
- Sliced Green Olives
- Sliced Black Olives
- Optional: Guacamole - I love it, but I don't always have it on hand
- Chop onions
- Slice black and green olives
- Place tortilla on plate
- Spread refried beans down the center of tortilla leaving plenty of space on three sides for folding after all ingredients are added
- Place chopped onion on beans - to taste
- Spread sour cream on top of onions - to taste
- Spread salsa on sour cream - to taste
- Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese
- Add black olives - to taste
- Add green olives - to taste
- Sprinkle another layer of shredded cheese
- Place in microwave for 35 seconds
- Fold bottom of tortilla up then fold the sides inward
- Microwave an additional 35 seconds
- Be careful that you do not burn yourself when removing plate or do what I do and use a paper plate with a backer
- Get a napkin and enjoy!
My two favorite knives. Always sharp and great for chopping and slicing.
Best knives ever!