- Food and Cooking
Pickled Walnuts Recipe
Fresh Walnuts ready for soaking
Recipe for Pickled Walnuts
Early in September this year, a friend gave me about a kilo of green walnuts and suggested that I pickle them. I've never even seen a green walnut before, let alone tasted pickled walnuts, but she told me they are delicious in combination with things like cheese or ham and other cold meats.
I enjoy trying new things, and she made the recipe sound really easy. Actually it was one of the easiest recipes I have ever used, and so it was that.I tasted Pickled Walnuts for the first time this October,
My verdict? A very strong flavor, but delicious. If you are not keen on strong flavors, you might not like pickled walnuts, or you might just like a small amount to add to your cheese sandwich.
The idea is to use only young green walnuts, before the shell forms. This means picking them in June or July if you are in the Northern Hemisphere. Test each green walnut by sticking a pin in it. If you feel a resistance from a hard shell inside, then discard it.
Prep Time: 30 minutes, but spread over six weeks
Total Time: six weeks from start to finish
Serves: 6 jam jars or bottles
- Approximately 1 kilo (2 lbs.) Fresh walnuts
- Brine made from 100g of salt in 1 litre of water
- Approx, 5 Cups Malt Vinegar
- 3 -4 Teaspoons Sugar (Preferably brown)
- 1 Teaspoon Pickling Spice, including black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon of cloves
- NB: Walnuts stain indelibly, so wear protective gloves and wipe drips from surfaces immediately.
- Soak the walnuts in brine (salted water) for 10 - 12 days, changing the water after the first 3 - 5 days when it looks a bit scummy. The walnuts will gradually turn black, but that's all right, they're supposed to.
- Wash and drain the walnuts, and lay them out to dry on a rack or baking tray for about 3 days until completely dried out and black and soft all over.
- Pour a little vinegar into a saucepan, add the sugar and spices and boil for a few minutes.
- Put the walnuts in clean jam jars and add the spiced vinegar after it has slightly cooled. Add more vinegar to completely cover the walnuts.
- Put the lids on the jars and label them, including the date.
- Store for at least 4 weeks before eating. The pickles will last about a year.
You can Rate this Recipe for Pickled Walnutshere
These trays are very handy for baking or heating up things like potatoes and baked vegetables. They would also be just right for laying the walnuts out to dry
You can leave comments here on my Guestbook
I love to hear from people all over the world, an if you have any variations on my recipe or any suggestions for improvement, it would be particularly good to read them