October Is National Pizza Month!
America's Favorite Food
We all agree us Americans have a love affair with pizza. There's nothing better
then having a warm slice or two of crusty, cheesy pizza after a long day of work.
Not to mention, different parts of the country have their own style of pizza
ranging of a wide variety of pizza crusts, and the sauce and toppings preferences.
Interesting Pizza Facts
- There are approximately 62,000 pizzerias in the United States.
- The highest Pizza Toss at 21 ft and 5 inches was earned in 2006 by Joe Carlucci at Mall of America, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Pizza arrived in the United states in the year 1905 in New York City. Gennaro Lombardi opened the first licensed pizzeria, however, it closed in 1984.
- On an average Americans eat 45 slices of pizza in a year.
- As per Guiness Book of World Record, the highest altitude (19,347 ft) of pizza delivery was accomplished by pizza hut in an African region of Tanzania to mark it's first pizza hut.
- The pizza industry is a $30 billion industry.
- A pizza-themed superhero movie was made in 2011 called Pizza-Man.
- In Math, there is a Pizza theorem which is named after Pizza.
"There’s no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap."
By Kevin James
History of Pizza
Many believe the word 'Pizza' is derived from the greek word 'pita'. Pizza, originally,
was not always what we know of it as bread, tomato sauce and cheese. In the 18th
century, pizza was flatbread in Naples, Italy, which due to it's inexpensive
nature,was eaten and enjoyed mostly by the peasants. In the 1600s, they added
tomatoes to the pizza which was even more appreciated among the peasants as it
enhanced the taste for the flat bread with herbs.
Pizza as we know of it today, was first prepared in Italy by Don Rafaelle Esposito,
who in arrival of Queen Margherita developed pizza which consisted of bread,
tomato sauce and mozarella cheese. This was the first time mozarrella cheese was
Pizza Tossing-Tony Gemignani World Champion
America's Top Favorite Pizza Toppings
As many American families, everyone in my family also has an opinion on which toppings to get on the pizza we order. Although, jalapeno is a favorite in my family, pepporoni is the topping that dominates in the United States followed by mushrooms, onions, green peppers, sausage or bacon.
Some of the more trendy toppings include pineapple, broccoli, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, green olives, banana peppers, cottage cheese, seafood and several others.
World's Top Rated Toppings
As much as American's have obsession with pepporoni as the choice of topping on their pizza, people around the globe also have some very unique toppings.
For example, Coconut topped pizza topping is famous in Costa Rica while those living in India prefer pickled ginger as their choice of unique topping. Also famous in India is the tandoori chicken topping which is a chicken cooked in tandoori (cooked in clay oven) style. Futhermore, in Australia the choices for toppings include kangaroo meat, salmon, dill, and mangoes.
In middle east where certain meats are common, the topping that is used most is include, lamb, beef and chicken.
In your country, what are some of the unique pizza toppings?
Check out Pizzas Around the World!
Choose your favorite chain pizza restaurants
What is your Favorite Chain Pizza Company?
Favorite Pizza Restaurants in America
We all know the famous Pizza chain restaurants such as Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa
John's, Little Ceasers, Cici's, Papa Murphys, of which many are seen throughout
the world now. These top chain pizza companies account for 40% of pizza sales.
However, here are some of the best privately owned mouth-watering pizza places
Spacca Napoli- Illinois, USA
Pizzeria Mozza- Los Angeles, California
Pizzeria Bianco- Phoenix, Arizona
Pizzaria Vetri- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Santarpio's Pizza- Boston, Massachusettes
Roberta's- Brooklyn, New York
Old Town Pizza- Auburn, California
Big Lou's- San Antonio, Texas
Carmine's Pizzeria- Dallas, Texas
Antico Pizza- Atlanta, Georgia
These are only a fraction of the places in the country that are rated as top pizza places. America is nation that eats, sleeps, and breathes pizza.
So, we all love pizza but the thought of the calories from bread and cheese makes us think twice before we grab a second slice. Well, here's some wonderful, healthy, and very popular options for weight watchers and pizza lovers for pizza crusts
- Everyone's favorite: Cauliflower Crust
- Try a crust with your favorite veggie: Spaghetti squash crush
- Add a little protein: Chick pea pizza crust
- Gluten free: Whole wheat pizza crust
- Turn a big mushroom into pizza crust
Get Creative- Spaghetti Squash Pizza!
PLEASE SHARE THIS ARTICLE and Spread your love for Pizza!
Thank you for visiting.
© 2019 Aanvi