- Food and Cooking
A Swimmingly Cute Cupcake!
Teddies in Tubes on top of cupcakes!
Cool Cute Cupcakes for a Pool Party!
For my grand-daughter's 5th Birthday, her Mom created these oh-so-cute "Swimming Teddy" cupcakes!
This idea is so easy that even the non-cooks out there can make them!
Here is what you need to make 24 cupcakes for your pool party:
1 Yellow cake mix (or use the scratch recipe I have below)
1 can pre-made icing
Blue food coloring
Follow the package directions for the cake.
Add food coloring to the icing and mix to get the desired color
Top with the Gummi Rings (believe it or not, I saw some Gummi Rings at a Bass Pro Shop!) and Teddy Grahams
Voila! Done. And just too cute!
(Image of the swimmingly cute pool party cupcakes is mine! It was taken on the day of the pool party with an iPhone.)
My friend, Bryan, shared this basic yellow cake recipe with me. Thank you so much, good friend!
Serves: Makes 36 regular sized cupcakes (or 1 18 x13
- 18 Tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 6 extra-large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup sour cream (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour (all purpose-not self-rising)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Butter and four the sheet pan if using it.
- Cream the butter and sugar in th bowl of an electric mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment) on high speed until light and fluffy.
- On medium speed add the eggs 2 at a time.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Scrape down the sides and stir until smooth.
- Sift together the four, cornstarch, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter/egg mixture until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Smoother the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If making cupcakes make sure the pans do not touch. Depending on the size of your oven, you might have to bake in several batches. I use the convection baking directions for my oven.
- Cool to room temperature before icing.
- (many thanks to my good friend Bryan Underwood for this recipe. The yummy image is of Bryan's Pink Lemonade Cupcakes. Maybe I can get him to share this recipe as well.)
Start building your Pool Party Cupcake:
Begin your cupcake with a great liner:
If you use a white cake mix, the blue should really pop!
In case you are really wanting to use a "scratch" cake recipe, keep on scrolling down!
Use Gummi Rings for the Teddy pool floats! - Perfect for a party at the neighborhood pool!
These are big enough for the Teddy Grahams to float around in nicely.
These Gummi Rings sure look like a swim float!
A tip for this Swimmingly Cute Cupcake:
Do not put the teddies and the ring on until just before the party.
The teddies in their rings could get soggy and droop.
Carries cookies, too.