- Food and Cooking
Pork Rib Marinade
Spare rib is not a prime cut, but a good family roast and particularly tasty when treated with this dry marinade. Start preparations 24 hours before cooking.
The spicy flavor of this roast calls for rather bland vegetable accompaniments such as creamed potatoes, braised red cabbage or macedoine of root vegetables.
* 1.5 kg spare rib of pork (enough for an average serving of 4 people)
For the marinade:
* 1 large bay leaf
* 1 tablespoon dried thyme or sage
* 1 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 250 ml stock or vegetable water
1. Weigh the meat and calculate the cooking time, allowing about 45 minutes to 50 minutes per 500 grams.
2. Cut the rind off the pork and reserve. Wipe the cut surfaces of the meat with a damp cloth.
3. Crumble the bay leaf into a small bowl and add herbs, spices, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Sprinkle some of the marinade over one surface of the meat and rub in thoroughly with your fingers. Continue until all the surfaces have been covered and all the marinade is used.
5. Put the meat on a rack standing over a plate or tray. Cover loosely with foil or polythene and leave in the refrigerator or larder for 24 hours.
6. Take out 30 minutes before cooking and leave at room temperature. Heat the oven to 180°C.
7. Put the pork rind in the bottom of a roasting pan and stand a rack over it. Place the meat, fat side up, on the rack.
8. Roast it in the center of the oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
9. Check that the roast is cooked through by piercing with a skewer. If the juices are colorless the meat is done. Transfer to a hot serving dish and keep warm.
10. Remove the rack from the pan. Discard the rind and pour off all but a tablespoon of fat.
11. Add the flour to the pan and stir in.
12. Put the pan over low heat and cook the roux for 2 to 3 minutes.
13. Add the stock away from the heat and stir in. Return to the heat and cook gently until the gravy is thickened. Check the seasonings and serve.