Our favorite family meal
This is a favorite of not only the family but a potluck favorite as well. Every family has a dish that people want them to bring to a potluck and this is ours. There are very few ingredients so it is easy to make. This is a dish we make all year long.
This is also one of the dishes we make when camping when we want a hardy meal that is filling and yummy. You would think that making it while camping would be a problem but all you have to do is to be able to boil water and brown meat. It is basic camp cooking. We also make it before we leave and freeze it. When we get to the campground, we simply reheat it.
I was going to take a picture of the finished meal but Mr. Wonderful (my husband) cleaned the pot before I could get to it. Claudia aka Happynutritionist tried my recipe and liked it. She was kind enough to provide me with the photo above, tastefully decorated with vegetables. It is a most excellent picture.
Credit where credit is due
I would love to give someone credit for this recipe and it is probably in a cookbook somewhere but I just can't remember that far back. We have been making it for more than 20 years.
I added a "don't overeat" as a warning. When we allowed my husband and brother to make it, they used 10 lbs of potatoes, a lot more meat, several more cans of mushroom soup and a lot more sour cream. Then, they would sit there and eat it all. They have been banned from all preparation.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Six large potatoes
- 32 ounce container of sour cream
- One can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes. Fill pot with water and add potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Chop onions into small pieces.
- While potatoes are cooking, brown the ground beef. Add the onions and cook until the beef is cooked through and the onions are translucent. Drain the grease.
- Add the flour and stir to mix. This will thicken the sauce.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are done.
- Drain the potatoes. Put them back into the pot.
- Pour the meat mixture into the pot. Mix it together.
- Fold in the sour cream and heat until it is warm. .
Some of the things you will need
What you need to know about this recipe
Don't overeat. It is easy because one bite leads to another. We have had family stagger away from the table to take a nap. Not the best idea.
Sometimes we add peas or green beans to the mix.
Salt and pepper should be added individually as the sodium content in the soup and sour cream is enough. Some in our family use salt and some don't so let each person decide. There are some who use enough pepper to change the color of the dish. We don't like to talk about them.
This is good reheated.