- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
Ground Beef Homemade Meatballs
What kind of meat should I use for meatballs?
To make meatballs you can use ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork, ground veal or ground sausage. Just depends on what kind of dish you will be preparing.
Like, spaghetti and meatballs, swedish meatballs or Hors d'oeuvre's for parties. Ground turkey make a more firmer meatball in my opinion.
There are a few secret's to making these magnificent little treats. Just remember these simple tips.
Making Meatballs is all in the "Seasoning" you use.
One of the secrets to flavorful meatballs are the onions.
The second secret for perfect texture of meatballs are the bread crumbs.
The third secret is being able to "Smell" the perfect amount of seasonings that is in the batch you've made with out having to measure.
If you can not smell and tell that there is enough seasoning in your batch, then you will just have to measure.
Smelling comes with years of cooking. Don't worry you will learn this within time.
Seasoning that you will need
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed bread crumbs or crushed stove top Stuffing
- 1/2 tablespoon dry or fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, or crushed fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon season salt seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, optional
- 1/2 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup whole milk
Preheat oven 350 degrees while preparing Meatball mixture mix
- In a bowl, whip the egg
- Add everything except for the ground beef and bread crumbs
- Mix thoroughly
- Add the ground beef and bread crumbs
- Mix through either with your hands or a wooden spoon. What ever is comfortable. Make sure that the mixture is slightly moist. If it feels to dry then add a tablespoon of water to the batch mixture.
- Put 2 tablespoons of meatball mixture in palm of hand and roll into a ball. Slightly flatten one side, preferably the down side so they will lay nicely in your pan/dish. Repeat till mixture is gone.
In the Oven they shall go!
350 - 375 degrees depending on how hot your oven gets. Some models are hotter at 350 then others.
Drizzle a small amount of olive oil or spray cooking spray into your baking dish. Line the meatballs in the dish and put in the oven and let cook for 30 - 45 minutes till done in the middle. When meatballs are done drain the grease.
Turning should not be needed. If you do turn them its okay, no big deal.
If you want Meatballs smothered in Brown Gravy
Mix in bowl:
* 2 Packets brown or mushroom gravy mix in
1&1/2 cups cold water
* pinch a corner from Knorr Bouillon cube. Will be around 1/4 of the cube
* 1 tablespoon soft cream cheese
Pour over meatballs AFTER meatballs have been in the oven to brown for 15 minutes.
Cook for additional 15-20 minutes. so all flavors can mingle with each other. Stirring the gravy around once or twice.
Gravies are easy to make. Especially since there are so many ready made gravy packets.
Of course home made gravies are always better. But not everybody knows how to make them. So then we use already made gravy mixes.
They are good to help out when your own homemade gravy is lacking something or just to help enhance the flavor into your already made gravy.
If you never used Knorr Bouillon - "Maggi" bouillon is also a good brand
Knorr Bouillon powder/cubes are not as salty as other bouillon. You can use them in all your recipes to enhance the flavor of your meals.
The flavors come in chicken, beef and vegetable.
Knorr also has gravies, noodle meals, and much more.
I have been using them for over 20 years. I also keep "Maggi cubes/powder handy too.
These two brands are real favorite.
My Grandmother and Mother used Knorr and Maggi products. I just kept the tradition going. It trickled down further to my Daughter.
Keep the cupboard stocked with seasonings. Never run out of garlic whether it is powder or fresh cloves
What is your choice of meat?
What kind of meat do you use when you make meatballs?
More Recipes to Try
- How to Make Beef Stir-Fry Rice Recipe
Stir-fry or stir-fried rice is a tasteful dish that can be the main dish. Mine is different because I prefer to use Rice-a-Roni in it!
- Easy Recipe Pork Smothered in Gravy
Recipe for Pork Smothered in Gravy
- Easy cauliflower soup recipe
- How to make Beef Rouladen Meat Rolls
It takes time to make Beef Rouladen. They are not a quick kind of a dish. The Preparation itself takes awhile and so does the cooking time. That is why I make them for Sunday & Holiday Dinner's.
- German Sauerkraut Recipe
The Best German Sauerkrat EVER! The secret to cooking a good pot of Sauerkraut is.......The Golden color .
- How to make German Wiener Schnitzel
German Schnitzel recipe that is easier than you think.
- How to make canned Ravioli taste better
Can, canned ravioli really taste better?
© 2011 Ramona