Lahsoon Paalak Daal or Pigeon Peas Daal for Babies and Toddlers.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
Ready in: 40 min
Yields: 1 toddler 1 cup of pigeon peas dal
- 1/2 cup pigeon peas split and skinned
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 thin clove garlic, grated
- 1 inch piece onion, grated
- 1/2 big salad tomato, chopped
- 4 leaves spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoon coriander leaves, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of asofoetida
How To Make Pigeon Peas Dal
- Take 1/2 cup of split and skinned pigeon peas in a pressure cooker vessel. Wash the pigeon peas thoroughly twice with filter water. Add washed and chopped spinach to it.
- Add 1 1/4 cup water and cook the pigeon peas in the pressure cooker for four whistles and 10 minutes on slow flame.
- Now take a pan and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Keep the burner on low flame and add the grated onion and garlic. Saute till the onions turn golden brown. Add the chopped tomato and coriander and saute them for 2 minutes. If required more butter can be added at this stage. Add a pinch of turmeric powder, a pinch of asofoetida and salt to taste(only for the ingredients added till now). Add pigeon peas, salt to taste and water(if required) bring it to boil.
- Serve hot with rice or bread.
- Tip: Cumin seeds, mustard seeds and green chilies can be added to butter before adding onions. Let them crackle before adding onions. I have omitted them because its a recipe for toddlers.