Healthy Vegetable Soup for Toddlers
- 1 cup bottle gourd, large pieces
- 3/4 cup pumpkin, large pieces
- 1 tomato, big
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf, small piece
- 1 cinnamon, small piece
- 1 teaspoon cream
- 4 leaves spinach, optional
- 2 french beans, optional
- 1 inch carrot, optional
How To Make Vegetable Soup.
- Peel a large piece of bottle gourd say 3 inches long cylindrical piece. Similarly peel a large piece of pumpkin say 2*3 inches. Now chop the bottle gourd into large pieces to give you approximately 1 cup of chopped bottle gourd. Similarly chop the pumpkin to give you 3/4 cup of chopped pumpkin.
- Take a pressure cooker vessel. Add the chopped bottle gourd and pumpkin. Wash and add 1 big tomato to the vessel as it is that is without chopping. Add the thoroughly washed french beans and spinach to the vessel. Peel one inch piece of carrot and add that too. Add a very little water and boil the vegetable in the pressure cooker with four whistles on high flame and then on slow flame for 7 minutes.
- Blend and sieve all the vegetables to get a thin puree. Add water if required during blending.
- Take a pan and place it on low flame. Heat one teaspoon of cream/butter/ghee in the pan or soup pot. Put the bay leaf, cinnamon and clove in the pan.
- Then pour the vegetable puree in the soup pot. Add salt and pepper to taste to the vegetable soup. Be careful with the use of pepper as some children cannot eat too spicy food.
- Finally, add a pinch of rasoi paneer butter masala and bring the soup to boil.
- Serve hot with vegetable rice/roti (Bread, especially a flat round bread cooked on a griddle)/brown bread/pasta or noodles.
- You can also try my other vegetable rice recipes to go along with the soup.
- Sometimes you can treat your kids by serving fried noodles or french fries with the healthy vegetable soup.
- Vegetable soups are not only healthy for your toddlers but also your family.
- But, I do know adults for very fussy when eating nutritious plain tasting food. But, I do have a solution for you if you want to serve the same soup for your family too. Just follow the instructions below.
- If you want to serve it to four family members increase the quantity of vegetables by four. That means 4 cups of bottle gourd, 3 cups of pumpkin, 4 tomatoes, 8 french beans,16 spinach leaves and 4 inches of carrot.
- Follow the procedure mentioned earlier to get the vegetable puree.
- Take a pan and place it on low flame. Heat one tablespoon of cream/butter/ghee in the pan or soup pot. Put the bay leaf, cinnamon and clove in the pan.
- Saute 1 chopped onion for 2 to 3 min in the pan before adding the vegetable puree. Add salt and pepper to taste to the vegetable soup.
- Finally, add a 1 teaspoon of garam masala and bring the soup to boil.
- You can replace the chopped onion with chopped cabbage. That tastes yummy as well.
- Family members will not have this yummy soup with plain rice or parathas so its better to make spicy spinach/fresh fenugreek parathas or cheese dosas or spicy vegetable rice to go along with it.
Recently, I had no bottle gourd, pumpkin or spinach at home. So, I made the soup just like above and added some parsley to it. It also tasted yummy. I am sharing a picture below.
If you want to make the soup more yummy for kids add butter or cheese to it. Kids will just love it and ask for more. My son just loves the soups I make and asks me often to prepare such soups.
Use this MDH Shahi Paneer Masala in your Cuisines
Whenever I don't want a very hot and spicy flavor in my dishes especially cooking for kids yet want a flavorful dish I use Paneer Masala.