Quick and Easy Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Even a beginner would find this Recipe for Mushroom Risotto easy to cook!
I will show you here how to make this cheap and healthy meal which is really tasty. Risotto, meaning Rice, is a traditional Italian dish and you will learn here a method for cooking rice the Italian way. Traditionally Porcini Mushrooms are used for this recipe, as they have a strong flavour. You can buy dried porcini in packets if you can't find the fresh mushrooms, or you can substitute other mushrooms. The other main ingredient is goats milk cheese, which also has a very pungent flavour. If it is too strong for you, just use a substitute.
Believe it or not, I had never tasted risotto until last year, when my daughter tried out a mushroom risotto recipe whilst I was in her kitchen. I thought it would be bland and that I wouldn't like it, but how wrong I was - it was surprisingly delicious.
Once I know roughly how something will taste, I improvise with my own recipe, and find that near-approximations works quite well. That's what makes this mushroom risotto recipe so easy .
Porcini mushrooms and goats milk cheese may seem expensive, but because they are strongly flavoured, you don't need a lot, so this is in fact quite an inexpensive meal, as well as being nutritious.
You can Rate this Recipe for Mushroom Risotto Here
You can buy dried Porcini Mushrooms on Amazon
It's very useful to keep a packet of dried mushrooms in your store cupboard, so that you can make your mushroom risotto whenever you have a little left-over rice. That's what I do.
Ingredients for Quick and Easy Mushroom Risotto
Quantities for this Risotto are not vital - just use what you have
Ingredients for Mushroom Risotto for 4 People:
- 4 Cups of Risotto Rice (the most suitable alternative would be Paella Rice, but otherwise you could use any rice you have available, but it works best with a rice which gives a sticky subsistency)
- 2 ozs Dried Porcini mushrooms (but any other mushrooms, dried or fresh would do instead of or in addition to Porcini mushrooms, which taste quite strong; even a tin of condensed mushroom soup would work)
- 1/2 Onion, chopped finely
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Big blob of butter (1/4 oz.)
- 2 Teaspoonfuls of fresh coriander leaves ( or other herbs if preferred)
- 1 oz. Goats milk cheese
- 1 oz Greek style yogurt or cream
- 1 Clove
- A Sprinkle of nutmeg or mace
- 1 Chicken or vegetable boullion cube8 Cups of water(or 2 cups for each 1 cup of rice)
Quick Method for Making Mushroom Risotto
Make Mushroom Risotto in 20 Minutes
- Fry the onion in the olive oil till golden brown
- Add the garlic
- Add the butter and melt it
- Add the rice and gently fry and stir it till all the rice grains are coated with butter and oil
- Add the boiling water
- Add the mushrooms, chicken or vegetable boullion, spices and any herbs except the coriander - you can vary these according to your taste
- Gently simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes until very soft. If it looks as though the rice has absorbed all the water, add a little more, so that ultimately the texture is a slightly wet, sticky, glutinous mass. It should not be dry like usual boiled rice.
- Add the goats milk cheese, and either yogurt (healthy)or cream (richer and naughtier) and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Just before you serve the mushroom risotto, add the chopped coriander (coriander is best when not cooked a lot)
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
NB You probably won't need salt, as the boullion is salty, so use salt
sparingly, if at all.
Don't let the rice dry out!
Keep it topped up with water and stir occasionally or it will stick to the bottom of the pan
Foodie Humor - my Designs on Zazzle
A political postcard - one of politicians' favorite sayings:
A humorous Photo of Mushrooms in a Box, With a Wry Political Slogan "We're all in this together"
This comment was made by the English Prime Minister David Cameron, and gave rise to some ironic mirth. Doubtless many other politicians round the world have said something similar.
You can get this "We're All in This Together" mushroom design on various T-Shirts
T-Shirt "We're All in This Together"
Links to other Web Pages - About mushrooms and risotto rice
- Wikipedia on Porcini Mushrooms - (I didn't know there was so much to say about them):
Here's an exerpt: "Prized as an ingredient in various foods, B. edulis is an edible mushroom held in high regard in many cuisines, and is commonly prepared and eaten in soups, pasta, or risotto. The mushroom is low in fat and digestible carbohydra
- Wikipedia on Risotto Rice
Describing the properties of this rice as opposed to other types of rice
- How to Make Rice Pilaf (An Easy Rice Pilaf Recipe)
"Rice pilaf is a delicious way to make a plain rice side dish better. It's really just rice cooked in broth and embellished with a few vegetables and spices."
Here are a few Links to Basic Easy Cookery Instructions that everyone should know
- How to Make Salad Dressing
This dressing is so delicious, you'll want salads every day. There is a poll for you to join
- Learn How to Cook Vegetables - Onions
Various uses for onions, together with a quiz and a poll
- Learn How to Cook Vegetables Properly
Lots of different vegetables and simple ways of cooking them, and a quiz about vegetables
Do you Believe Recipes should be followed to the letter? - Are you a nervous cook or a creative maestro?
Let's see how precious you are about following recipes slavishly:
Take the Poll on the left and see how you compare with everyone else.
You might be pleasantly surprised.
Do you follow a recipe word for word?
Mushrooms to Decorate Your Kitchen Wall
Get the Above Poster of Mushrooms to Decorate Your Kitchen Wall from Allposters.com
by Johann Wilhelm
Buy This at Allposters.com
They might help you to identify edible fungi as opposed to those that will have you writhing on the floor. Don't ever eat wild mushrooms or toadstools unless you are absolutely certain they are edible. It's easy to get carried away because they look similar to domestic mushrooms which you know and love, but, at worst, you might indeed be carried away if you eat unwisely. At best you might find yourself hallucinating disconcertingly if you've been eating Psilocybin mushrooms, also known as magic mushrooms.
Did you think this recipe was quick and easy, and was it tasty?
Would you eat it again?