Unlike most cooked vegetable dishes, ratatouille actually tastes better cold. The traditional aubergines are omitted from this recipe as they tend to absorb a lot of oil, making this dish too oily for some if served cold.
- 2 Spanish onions
- 150 ml olive or sunflower oil
- 3 large red peppers
- large green peppers
- garlic cloves
- 900 grams ripe tomatoes
- 700 grams courgettes
- salt and black pepper
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Heat half the oil in a saute pan over moderate heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beginning to soften.
- Meanwhile, halve the peppers, deseed them, cut into strips. Add to the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cut the knobbly ends off the courgettes and slice into 6 mm thick rounds. Skin and chop the garlic. Skin and deseed the tomatoes and chop the flesh.
- Add courgettes, garlic and tomatoes to the pan together with the remaining oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Season well, turn into a large serving bowl and leave to cool. When cold, cover and refrigerate.
Deep Fried Eggs with Ratatouille
Aubergines, tomatoes and peppers le a colorful and delicious contrast to these puffy golden eggs. Serve garnished with triangles of fried bread or accompany with wholemeal rolls.
Fresh, home-made ratatouille will, of course, make the dish even better.
- 450 grams of ratatouille
- 350 ml oil for frying 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Heat the ratatouille, according to the manufacturer's instructions, in the butter and season.
- Cover and keep warm in a serving dish in a low oven.
- Put the oil in a saucepan measuring 12.5 cm in diameter and heat to 180°C (370°F).
- Break an egg into a cup and slide it carefully into the hot fat, taking care not to splash.
- Roll the egg constantly with a perforated spoon. Cook for 50 seconds.
- Drain the egg thoroughly on kitchen paper and place it on top of the ratatouille.
- Cook the remaining eggs, one by one, in the same way, then garnish and serve immediately.
Crisp fried bread adds interesting texture to deep-fried eggs with ratatouille.