- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Real Easy Vegan Apple Dessert and Cashew Cream Topping
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
- Yields: 12 pieces
This is a really simple and quick dessert to knock together. We found the basic recipe "Cara's Apple Strudel" in the Eat To live cookbook by Joel Fuhrman M.D.
We arrived on using Honey Crisp apples by trial and error. The raisins add sweetness without using refined sugar so this is a really healthy sweet dessert!
The recipe as given is vegan although you could use Dairy milk and have a non vegan version if you so wished. If you choose to do this then be aware that we lose our lactase enzyme at 6 months so a lot of digestive issues relate back to our use of dairy products. Since lactase is needed to digest real milks many adults are even lactose intolerant. Eating milk can and will cause allergic responses in these adults.
- 3 Honey Crisp Apples, peeled cored and chopped
- 1/2 Cup Almond, Soy or similar Milk
- 3/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Raisins chopped
- 1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/4 Cup Ground Raw Walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Pitted Dates
- 1 Cup Lightly Roasted Cashews, soak for 2 to 4 hours rinse and drain
- 1/2 Cup Purified Water
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Mix the Milk, Vanilla and Cinnamon in a bowl using a whisk
- Stir in the chopped Apples, Raisins, Oats, Ground Walnuts, and Flax Seeds
- Pour mixture into an 8" by 8" baking dish or 9" round one
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour
- Cream Topping Instructions
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender container and secure lid (We use a Vitamix Turbo Blend 1732 VS)
- Select variable 1
- Turn Machine on and increase speed to variable 10, then to High
- Blend for 45 seconds or until smooth
- Turn Blender to Variable down to speed 1 and then off
- Chill cream for 1 hour in a sealed glass container in your fridge (it will keep for a week)
- When ready cut up dessert and serve with a dollop of the cream.
- Re-heat in microwave for about 20 secs per slice (if desired)
Blender Used For Cream Topping
The cream topping is made by blending together water, dates and raw cashew nuts. The mixture is thick and sticky. Dr. Fuhrmann and I both agree that recipes such as this require a high powered blender. We both use a Vitamix and this one is the one I used.
Our blender which is so fast and easy to clean it makes making recipes like this a breeze!
Eat To Live
This is the cook book written by Dr. Joel Fuhrmann who has used diet changes to help cancer patients, diabetics and obese people to eat their way back to health. It is a far better way than using today's drugs which often have adverse side effects that are as bad or worse than the disease in the first place.
Great Vegan Recipes For Every Day
Eating a vegan diet is healthy and is not just for those that are wanting to avoid meat. These meals are delicious and have just as much to offer omnivores as to vegans. Often these meals are more nutritious and have more anti oxidants.
A whole selection of easy delicious Vegan recipes for everyday!