- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Delicious Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Eggplant Parmesan Supreme (And Other Eggplant Recipes!)
Eggplant Parmesan Supreme is one of my absolute favorite dishes! This version avoids the flour that most recipes of Eggplant Parmesan require, therefore creating a lower carb and gluten-free dish. But this Eggplant Parmesan recipe is anything but lower in taste! Why? Instead of coating the eggplant in flour, I coat it in flavorful Parmesan cheese! You really have to try it to believe it!
The flavors of the Parmesan cheese, spaghetti sauce, and eggplant blend so delightfully together! Mmmmm.....!
Eggplant Parmesan Supreme Recipe
- Easy illustrated step by step directions for Eggplant Parmesan
Note: Printable directions can be found farther down the page!
1 large eggplant
1 five oz tub of finely grated Parmesan cheese
Additional shredded, grated, or shaved Parmesan cheese (3 to 4 ozs)
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
1 44 oz jar spaghetti sauce or homemade spaghetti sauce
Olive oil or other oil for cooking the eggplant
Step 1: Wash and cut the eggplant into 1/4 in thick slices.
Dip the sliced eggplant in egg and then into grated parmesan cheese.
If necessary, use the back of a spoon to press the cheese onto both sides of the eggplant. Place the egg and cheese covered slice of eggplant into a 3rd empty container. It's fine to stack the cheese covered slices of eggplant in the container. Repeat the process with the remaining slices of eggplant.
Each slice should look something like this.
Step 2: When all of the slices are covered in egg and cheese, cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
Step 3: Grease a 13 by 9 inch casserole dish and set aside. Preheat the over to 350 F.
Drizzle a little olive oil on a skillet. Cook the eggplant on medium heat in the skillet..
As each slice finishes cooking, place it in the greased casserole dish.
Step 4: On top of the first layer of eggplant, place a layer of spaghetti sauce, followed by a layer of mozzarella. Top this with more eggplant as it becomes ready. Continue making layers of eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella until you've used all of the eggplant. It's fine if the top layer of eggplant isn't enough to cover the whole casserole. On the very top, add a layer of Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
Layer: eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella,
ending with a layer of Parmesan cheese on the top.
Bake for 35 minutes.
Eggplant Parmesan Supreme with Salad
If you love eggplant, you'll probably love this book. It's full of delicious eggplant recipes, including appetizers, salads, entries, sides, relishes, and even eggplant ice cream! Note: Not all the recipes in this book are vegetarian.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 five oz tub of finely grated parmesan cheese*
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 1 44 oz jar spaghetti sauce or homemade spaghetti sauce*
- Additional shredded or grated parmesan cheese (3 to 4 oz)
- Olive oil
- Wash and cut the eggplant into 1/4 in thick slices. Select two bowls or storage containers that are fairly shallow and only a little bigger than the slices of eggplant. Put the finely grated Parmesan cheese into one of these containers. Crack the eggs into the other container, and beat them gently with a fork. You'll need a larger bowl, storage container, or dish to place the eggplant slices in once they have been dipped. (The container needs to be one that can fit into your refrigerator.) Use a fork to dip the first slice of eggplant into the egg, making sure to turn the eggplant over so that it becomes completely covered in egg, Next, dip the egg-covered slice of eggplant into the Parmesan cheese. Use the back of a spoon to gently press the Parmesan cheese onto both sides of the eggplant. Place the egg and cheese covered slice of eggplant into the 3rd empty container. Repeat the process with the remaining slices of eggplant. When all of the slices are covered in egg and cheese, cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Grease a 13 by 9 inch casserole dish and set aside. Preheat the over to 350 F. Drizzle a little olive oil on a skillet. Cook the eggplant slices on medium heat. When the cheese on the top becomes smooth and melted, and the bottom turns a golden brown, flip the slices of eggplant over and cook the second side until it's golden brown. As each slice finishes cooking, place it in the greased casserole dish. When the bottom of the casserole dish is covered, add a layer of spaghetti sauce, followed by a layer of mozzarella cheese. Continue making layers of eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella until you've used all of the eggplant. It's fine if the top layer of eggplant isn't enough to cover the whole casserole. On the very top, add a layer of Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- * Note: You might want to have extra spaghetti sauce and finely grated parmesan cheese on hand when preparing this recipe. The amount you'll need really depends upon how big your eggplant is. A larger eggplant may require a little more of each of those items. Also, the finely grated - almost powdery - parmesan cheese works MUCH better for coating the eggplant, but any kind of parmesan cheese (except moldy! ;-) ) will work for adding to the top of the casserole.
This set includes 3 boards: 6 by 8 inches, 8.5 by 11 inches, and 9.5 by 13 inches.
I think bamboo cutting boards are beautiful...and I love that they're eco-friendly!
This set of bamboo cutting boards is not only beautiful, naturally anti-microbial, made from organic bamboo, and very durable, it's also eco-friendly! To keep your bamboo cutting boards nice, apply mineral oil to them before using them the first time (and periodically after that) and hand wash them in mild dish detergent and warm water.
Vegan Eggplant Recipes - All the eggplant recipes in this section are vegan! If you try one and like it, please come back and let us know in the guestbook.
- Vegan Roasted Eggplant Recipe
Recipe includes: eggplant, red onion, mushrooms, olive oil, sea salt, red rice, balsamic vinegar, and your choice of greens.
- Eggplant and Chickpea Curry
Recipe includes: eggplant, onion, red bell pepper, cumin seeds, ground coriander, turmeric, asafetida (or garlic), diced tomatoes, ginger paste or minced ginger root, cayenne or other hot red pepper, chickpeas, parsley or cilantro and garam masala.
- Spicy Sichuan Eggplant
Recipe includes: Asian eggplant, vegetable stock, chili bean paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, yellow rice wine, sugar, peanut or vegetable oil, garlic, ginger. Sichuan peppercorn, cornstarch, and scallions.
- Mediterranean Eggplant and Barley Salad
Recipe includes: eggplant, zucchini, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, black pepper, scallion, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne, pearl barley, vegetable broth. fresh lemon juice, garlic, sugar, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata or other brine-cured black
© 2010 JanieceTobey