- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
McDonald's Hamburger Recipe
There are thousands of variations of hamburger recipes and everyone has their favorite. Your favorite hamburger recipe may be served at a Five Guys restaurant or at Bobby Flay's new burger joint or cooked in your own backyard on the grill, but there's no disputing that McDonald's hamburgers are a favorite for many, especially considering the fact that McDonald's serves over 4,500 hamburgers every minute!
In this article you'll find a homemade hamburger recipe that comes pretty close in taste to a McDonald's hamburger. The secrets to achieving great results are listed at the bottom so be sure to follow them!
Easy Hamburger Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Pound Ground Chuck or 80% Lean Beef
- 8 Hamburger Buns
- 8 Dill Pickle Slices
- 8 teaspoons Dried Chopped Onion
- Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Boiling Water
- Special Seasoning, see recipe below
Perfect Hamburger Seasoning
One of the secrets of McDonald's food is the special blend of seasoning they use to enhance their burgers. Here is a great recipe for your own "special seasoning" mixture:
- 4 Tablespoons Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Accent (msg)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Mix well and place in a shaker.
Directions for forming the hamburger patty and cooking your burger
- Form the beef into 8 patties. Take a ball of beef mixture, a little larger than the size of a golf ball, and flatten. Each hamburger patty should be approximately 2 ounces, about 4 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick. Place the patties on a baking sheet that is covered with waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Freeze the baking tray of patties for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Prepare the Special Seasoning mix.
- Place the onions in a small bowl or coffee cup. Add boiling water to cover the onions, about 1/4 cup. Allow to soak. After about 30 minutes drain thoroughly.
- Brown faces of bun in a dry frying pan over medium heat.
- Remove buns and cook hamburger patties in pan. Cook each hamburger for approximately 2-4 minutes per side, sprinkling each side with seasoning mix and pressing down on the patty with a spatula.
- Swirl ketchup and mustard on the bottom bun, add onions and pickles. If you want a cheeseburger add a slice of cheese, then place patty on top. Add bun top to burger.
- Place burger in microwave wrapped loosely in paper towel for about 10 seconds to steam. Serve and enjoy!
Let's not kid ourselves, unless we're eating a veggie burger or soy burger there isn't a whole lot of nutritional benefit to a burger, but all things considered, McDonald's burgers aren't that bad eaten occasionally. They are small, so that's a good thing, they have 250 calories, not so bad, and 12 grams of protein. On the Weight Watchers program a McDonald's hamburger counts as 5 points. Keep your McDonald's lunch diet- friendly by adding a side salad with the Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette by Newman's Own, a side of apple slices and a bottle of water.
Which is your favorite McDonald's Burger?
Which do you like best?
Tips for making your homemade hamburger taste like a McDonald's burger
- Use smooth, thinly sliced, dill hamburger pickles. I've had the most luck getting these in very large jars in the restaurant supply sections of stores like BJ's or Sam's Club. Vlasic hamburger pickles will do, but they are sliced thick and crinkly, not thin and smooth like McDonald's pickles.
- Use dehydrated chopped onions that you buy in the spice aisle in the supermarket. Fresh onions just aren't the same!
- Use the "special seasoning" mixture on your hamburgers, just plain salt isn't the same.
- Toast your buns!
© 2012 MomsTreasureChest