Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe!
My Favorite Recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole!
Sweet Potato Casserole is a must have at Thanksgiving for my family. I grew up having it, and now I serve it to my own kids. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it!
But why not enjoy it year round? Christmas? Valentine's Day? Easter? Tomorrow's dinner? It's quite easy to make, and very yummy! Oh, but shhh! We won't tell the kids that sweet potatoes are full of nutrition too!
Are you wondering what this dish is all about? It's delicious sweet potatoes with just a hint of cinnamon, covered in a scrumptious layer of crunchy pecans and brown sugar, and topped with delicately toasted marshmallows! Mmm....!
Keep reading, and I'll share my family's recipe for this delectable dish with you! If you give it a try, please come back and let me know how you like it! You'll find a guestbook at the bottom of the page that's there for your comments and questions!
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 8 or 9 medium sweet potatoes (about 4 cups of mashed cooked sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ~~TOPPING Ingredients:~~
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tbs of margarine or butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 bag of mini marshmellows
- Wash and bake sweet potatoes at 350 F until done (1 1/2 to 2 hours). Squeeze one of the larger ones a little to see if it's done. They should be easy to squeeze when they are done. Allow them to cool for at least thirty minutes. Cut them in half and scoop out the potato into a large bowl. Mash the potatoes with a fork or a hand blender.
- Add the white sugar, salt, eggs, and water to the potatoes and mix well. Place the mixture in a large greased casserole dish. Use a big enough casserole dish that will allow you plenty of room to add the nut topping and the marshmallows later. If the marshmallows overflow the dish as they melt, you'll end up with a mess in your oven. (If you think that might happen, put a layer of foil under the casserole dish while it's in the oven.)
- Mix the flour and brown sugar together. Cut in the margarine or butter, using a fork. After it's well mixed, add the pecans and mix again. Put the topping on the sweet potatoes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of baking time, remove the casserole from the oven and add a layer of mini marshmallows on the top. Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the marshmallows are slightly browned - around 5 minutes to 15 minutes. I usually turn the temperature down to about 250 degrees when I put the casserole back in the oven. This helps the marshmallows not burn, but it does add extra cooking time as well.
Place a layer of foil under the sweet potatoes while baking them. This will save on clean up later!
This would make a pretty dish to bake and serve your Sweet Potato Casserole in! In fact, you can make casseroles ahead and freeze them in this dish too!
Sweet Potato Casserole - With Nuts, Marshmallows, or Both?
What type of topping do you prefer on your Sweet Potato Casserole?
Do you prefer a nut topping, a marshmallow topping, or both?
I often bake the sweet potatoes the night before. With this part of the job out of the way, preparing the rest of the casserole is a snap!
If you'll be short of time the following day, why not also go ahead and mash the sweet potatoes, and mix them with the water, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Store them in the fridge overnight. Just add the eggs the following day, place it in a casserole dish, and add the topping!
- Vegan Marshallows
This site includes information as to why you might want to purchase vegan marshmallows (rather than regular ones), and also sells homemade vegan marshmallows.
Nutrition of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are full of Vitamin A in the form of beta carotene. They also contain vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, pantothenic acid, biotin, potassium, fiber and other nutrients. Did you know they also contain anti-inflammatory ingredients?
Homemade Cranberry Sauce?
We tried the Double Cranberry Apple Sauce (see photo and recipe below) last year for Thanksgiving and LOVED it! We'll be making it again this year too!
Other Vegetarian Sides - To Serve With Your Sweet Potato Casserole
- Double Cranberry-Apple Sauce
Why does this recipe have "Double Cranberry" as part of it's name? Because in addition to granny smith apples, it contains both fresh cranberries and dried ones! Other ingredients include lemon, sugar, and water. This is the recipe shown above!
- Squash Casserole
This Cheesy Squash Casserole includes: yellow squash, onion, Cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, fresh basil, garlic salt, pepper, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, butter, and French fried onions.
- Green Beans with Garlic
This is a much healthier, yet very delicious, way to serve green beans. Recipe ingredients include green beans, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Fresh Pear-and-Green Bean Salad with Sorghum Vinaigrette
This recipe sounds delicious! Ingredients include: haricots verts (tiny green beans), red Bartlett Pears, red onion, Gorgonzola cheese, sweet and spicy pecans (sorghum syrup, sugar, salt, ground red pepper, and pecan halves), and Sorghum Vinaigrette
- Oven-Roasted Asparagus
This oven roasted asparagus is topped with garlic and almonds for a flavorful and healthy side dish! Ingredients include: asparagus, almonds, garlic, salt, olive oil, and pepper.
- Spinach, Arugula, Cranberry and Walnut Salad
This salad consists of oive oil, white wine vinegar, dried sweetened cranberries, baby spinach leaves, baby arugula, walnuts, goat cheese crumbles, fresh cracked pepper and salt.
Recipes for Snacks and Desserts
- Pumpkin Fluff Dip.
Looking for something for your family or guests to nibble on while dinner's cooking? Try Pumpkin Fluff Dip! Recipe Ingredients: whip cream, vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon graham crackers.
- The Great Pumpkin Cake
Directions for how to turn your favorite cake recipe into a pumpkin!
- Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
After clicking the link above, scroll down the page to find the recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Recipe Ingredients: sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin puree, and wa
- Spinach And Artichoke Dip
Artichoke hearts, Parmesan cheese, spinach, Monterey Jack cheese,and mayonnaise. Serve with crackers, pita, bread, etc.
Are you serving Sweet Potato Casserole for Thanksgiving Dinner? - It's a tradition in our house! It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it!
If you're in the US, will you be having Sweet Potato Casserole for Thanksgiving Dinner?
© 2011 JanieceTobey