Recipes and Tips for Cooking Cheaper Cuts of Beef
Cooking with Cheaper Cuts of Beef.
Families need meat, growing children need proteins, no better way than a good hearty meal of beef.
Have you tried cooking with a cheaper cut of meat, you may be surprised how tasty it is?
Casseroles, braising and stew, dishes are delicious, and can be made with the cheaper cuts of meat, just by adding a little red wine, (which helps to tenderize the meat}, or spices, and herbs, also fruit, which is not only good in the sauce to accompany the meat, but an excellent flavour added to the casserole itself.
Mincemeat, you have unlimited meals, meatloaves, meatballs, casseroles, pies, rissoles, as my saying goes when I buy my weekly meat "If you have mincemeat, you have a meal in the house", it is unlimited what you can do with it.
Enjoy cooking those cheaper cuts of beef and become an expert cook, there is a lot of help available on the internet it's up to you. have you cook these cheaper cuts.
Beef Cuts ready for Cooking
Buying and Cooking Beef
Undoubtedly meat is one of the most expensive items on the family budget, buying a roast of beef, is mainly for special occasions.
When buying beef to tell if it is fresh it should be a clear bright red and any fat must be firm and pale cream.
Veal which is a younger beef animal should be a pale pink and look dry. There is little fat to see, but what there is, it should be firm and white.
Braising or Stewing Meat.
Braising is a method used in cooking meat and often vegetables, and it is really a combination of roasting or frying for stewing or casseroles.
The difference between braising and stewing is the meat is actually cooked in a thickened liquid when it is braised.
The important thing to realize that you are dealing with a less tender piece of meat and needs to cook slowly.
If you try to hurry the cooking you will only make the meat tough.
Never boil meat rapidly, simmer it gently.
The secret of a tasty tender stew is to give it plenty of time for cooking.
That is why meals cooked in a crock pot or slow cooker are very tender and tasty.
If you want a quick stew it is helpful to use some of the ready-prepared soups instead of taking the trouble of preparing vegetables; either the canned double thick or packet soups can be used to give a really good sauce for the meat.
Wanting a meal in a hurry use a tender cut of steak.
On the whole, you cannot harm boiled meat by giving it a little longer the stated, but in saying that when cooking minced beef, take care not to overcook, otherwise it has a tendency to become very dry.
If using veal for casseroles, braising or for a stew, here's a few things you can add for more flavor and color.
To Fry Steak.
Tip: For shallow frying, make certain that the oil is hot before the meat goes in, with the exception of bacon, which goes into a cold pan.
Heat a good knob of butter (add a drop of oil in with the butter as it will stop the butter from burning). or a little oil in the pan and put the steak in.
Fry quickly on either side to seal the flavor.
Lower the heat and cook gently for
10 - 12 minutes for a well-done steak.
6 - 8 minutes for a medium steak.
3 - 4 minutes for a underdone or rare steak.
Sauces you can add to beef for flavoring
Soy or Soya Sauce. - Just add to dish when preparing.
Tabasco Sauce - adds a really strong hot flavor to an otherwise flavorless meat dish. Use sparingly until you get used to how much to use.
Tomato Flavorings - Canned tomatoes are excellent in meat cookery, (choose plum shaped if possible).
Concentrated tomato paste or puree in tins or tubes.
Ketchup is less potent than puree.
Worcestershire Sauce - A dash added to an ordinary casserole dish brings out the flavored and gives a bite.
Many people like Worcestershire sauce served with steak
Wine - When making savory or casserole beef dish you can substitute a certain amount of wine for the stock or water.
Beef, which has a strong flavor, is best cooked with a red Burgundy or Bordeaux.
Veal - Needs a white wine rather than a red, so that its delicate flavor is not spoiled.
Links to Beef Recipe Sites.
- Old Fashion Beef Stew.
This is a very basic beef stew. It's easy, delicious and inexpensive to make.
- Best Beef Recipes.
A Collection of all the Top Beef Recipes…
- Beef Recipes for students.
Steak baguette The best steak baguette ever
- What is Offal?
Offal also called, especially in the United States, variety meats or organ meats, refers to the internal organs…
Your choice when buying beef
If you saw cheaper cuts of beef at the Supermarket, would you buy them or go for the more expensive Steak?
Tomato Mince Dinner.
3 to 4 sticks celery,
1 to 2 teaspoons oil,
500 grams mince,
1 teaspoon salt,
shake of pepper,
2 tablespoons tomato sauce,
1 1/2 cups water - ( or tin tomato soup made to 1 1/2 cups),
2 1/2 cups tomato pulp or puree or 3 tomatoes,
1 cup macaroni
1. Peel and chop onions, chop celery.
2. Heat oil and fry vegetables lightly.
3. Add mince - break up with a fork and cook until the pink color has disappeared.
4. Season with salt and pepper add tomato sauce and tomato mix, and bring to the boil and simmer 5 minutes.
5. Add the macaroni, cover with a close-fitting lid and simmer a further 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender to the bite.
Serve sprinkled with grated cheese.
You can put the dish under the grill and grill the cheese if liked.
Beef Curry in Bangladesh
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 2 hours
- Ready in: 2 hours 20 min
- Yields: 4
Ingredients - Beef Stew and Noodles
- 1 lb stewing steak
- 8 ozs onion
- 8 ozs carrots
- 8 ozs streaky bacon
- little oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 4 ozs noodles
- 2 ozs grated cheese
- Cut steak into cubes - not too big about 1- inch square.
- Peel onions and chop, peel and slice carrots.
- Remove the rind from the bacon and cut into small pieces.
- Add the oil to the pan and fry the meat, onions, and bacon for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and continue frying for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Reduce the heat and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Cooking the noodles.
- Half-fill a medium-sized saucepan with water, add salt and bring to the boil.
- Add the noodles and boil for 10-15 minutes. Strain.
- Place the noodles on a warmed serving dish, pour the beef stew on top, and sprinkle with the grated cheese and serve immediately.
- Variations for a change with Beef Stew and Noodles:
- Savory Beef.
- Roll the diced beef in a packet of soup powder - oxtail, tomato, onion flavors are particularly suitable.
- Continue cooking as above.
- Serve with the noodles and cheese or mashed creamed potatoes.
- Beef Stew with Red Wine.
- Add crushed clove of garlic to the chopped onions, and use half stock and half cheap red wine.
- Chill Hotpot.
- Use the recipe for the beef stew and add only 1 teaspoon chill powder to other seasonings.
- A crushed clove of garlic can be used.
Facts on Liver
This is one of the most important foods for children as well as the elderly as it's extremely easy to digest, has an excellent source of iron.
- A few points on Liver.
Calf's liver is the most tender and easily to digest and therefore suitable for grilling and frying. Lambs liver can be substituted.
Ox Liver is not suitable for quick methods of cooking.
It should be cooked gently and any casserole recipes can be used as a basis for the casserole of the liver.
Since the flavor is fairly strong, you may like to mix the liver with other meat.
The liver becomes tough if it is overcooked, so do time the cooking most carefully.
For most people it is more appetizing if it is slightly underdone in the very center, so being more moist and juicy.
To Fry Liver.
Dust very lightly with seasoned flour, then cook gently for a few minutes only, on either side in plenty of hot butter or oil.
To Grill Liver.
Bush well with melted butter or oil and cook steadily under the grill.
To Steam Liver.
This is particularly easy to digest, (best way for the elderly).
Season lightly and cook between plates, with a little milk or butter, over a pan of boiling water.
- More ways to serve Liver.
This one is very nice if you like Pineapple.
Fry the liver in the usual way, dish up, then fry very finely chopped onion and slice of canned pineapple in the oil remaining in the pan.
Cut the liver into very thin slices and roll around skinless chipolata sausages.
Arrange in the dish with rings of apple, season and sprinkle with powdered sage.
Cover dish with buttered foil and bake for 25 minutes in moderately hot oven 350 to 400 F.
The liver can take the place of steak or other meats in pies; the cheaper ox-liver can be used.
Cooking - Liver & Onions
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
Ox Liver and Prunes.
- 1/2 lb stoned soaked prunes
- 1 lb ox liver, sliced
- 1 1/2 ozs flour
- 1 1/2 ozs butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 rashers streaky bacon
- 3/4 pint beef stock or beef stock cube and 3/4 pint hot water
- 1 carton yoghurt
- Soak prunes overnight and remove the stones.
- Cut the liver into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss in seasoned flour.
- Melt the butter in frying pan.
- Brown the liver, onion and chopped bacon.
- Pour in the beef stock.
- Cover and cook gently on top of the stove or in the centre of a very moderate oven 350 F. for 45 minutes.
- Pour over the carton of yoghourt and serve immediately.
Beef Liver M'charmel Moroccan Style
Cheaper Cuts of Beef
These days there are so many ways of preparing the cheaper cut of beef, that by the time you have finished and served it no one would be any the wiser.
You can add comments here with your ideas on cooking and serving beef meals