Hershey's Kisses History And Great Recipes
Hershey's Kisses can be used to make some great sweet treats
Article By Sharon Stajda
I have added some wonderful sweet recipes, all of these recipes have an ingredient in common, that ingredient is Hershey's Kisses. I hope you will try one of these sweet treats, and if you have a favorite recipe that includes Hershey's Kisses, I hope you will share it. I have added a bit of a history on Hershey's Kisses, just to introduce you to when and where the Hershey's Kiss got its start.
Hershey as established in 1894
In 1894 a man by the name of Milton Hershey began to manufacture a sweet smooth chocolate, which he first used as a coating for the his caramels. The company was located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and the new enterprise was named the Hershey Chocolate Company.
The early 1900s was a boom year for Hershey's
By the early 1900s, Hershey's company began to produce a milk chocolate bar. The company began to mass produce chocolate, this mass production lead the company to make chocolate candies that were affordable. Hershey's chocolates once thought of as a luxury item, for the very wealthy, now became affordable to all.
The speedy success of Hershey's company soon caused him to increase production at his facilities. He quickly made up his mind to build a new chocolate factory in the farmland of south-central Pennsylvania in Derry Township, where he had actually been born. Close to the ports of New York and Philadelphia that supplied the imported sugar and cocoa beans, that were needed to create his chocolates. The new factory was also surrounded by dairy farms that provided the milk he required for the production of chocolate. The new location was a perfect fit for Mr. Hershey's new factory. By the summer of 1905, the new factory was up and running producing fine chocolate candies. In 1907 Hershey's Chocolate Company began producing a flat-bottomed, conical milk chocolate candy. Mr. Hershey himself decided to name this new confection, "HERSHEY'S KISSES" . At first, the kisses were individually wrapped in little squares of silver foil by workers. However, by 1921 machine wrapping was introduced. This new technology was also used to add the familiar Hershey's tag at the top of each candy that signify to consumers that this was a genuine HERSHEY'S KISS.
The Popularity Of Hershey's Today
Today, The Hershey Company is the leading North American manufacturer of chocolate and non-chocolate confectionery and grocery products. As the new millennium begins, The Hershey Company continues to introduce new products frequently and take advantage of growth opportunities through acquisitions. HERSHEY'S products are known and enjoyed the world over. In fact, the company exports to over 90 countries. With approximately 13,700 employees and net sales in excess of $4 billion. The Hershey Company remains committed to the vision and values of the man who started it all so many years ago.
The Original HERSHEY'S KISSES brand Milk Chocolates have been a favorite American treat since 1907. The Hershey"s Kiss is made up of delicious creamy milk chocolate. These little drop shaped chocolates have been enjoyed and shared generation after generation. Perhaps that's why its sweet little is still around today - " EVERY DAY DESERVES A KISS".
The Sticky Taste S'more...
There are a lot of stories and claims when it comes to who came up with the taste S'more treat that Hershey's is famous for. The recipe can be found in the "Girl Scouts" handbook in 1927. As the folklore goes no one could eat just one, hence the name S'mores was born. No matter how it got its name, S' mores are still a taste treat, that certainly has been around for a very long time.
- 20 marshmallows
- 40 graham crackers
- 40 Hershey's kisses
- Toast 1 marshmallows over coals of campfire. Place 1 Hershey's Kiss on top of a graham crackers. When marshmallow is well toasted, place it on top of Kiss. Cover with second graham cracker and squeeze them together. After you have eaten one, you will ask for some more !
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 4 dozens
- 48 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolate
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.
- 2 Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
- 3 Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- 4 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each
- cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
- (1 cookie):
- Calories: 90
Hershey's Kisses Covered Strawberries
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips2 tablespoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)* Fresh strawberries, with stems, rinsed and patted dry
1 Cover tray with wax paper.
2 Place chocolate chips and shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1-1/2 minutes or just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred; cool slightly.
3 Holding strawberry by top, dip 2/3 of each berry into chocolate mixture; shake gently to remove excess. Place on prepared tray.
- 2 cups of Hershey's Dark chocolate Kisses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 dozens Strawberries
- Cover tray pan with wax paper.
- Place chocolates and shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover with napkin Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1-1/2 minutes or just until chocolates are melted, and mixture is smooth when stirred; cool slightly.
- Holding strawberry by top, dip 2/3 of each berry into chocolate mixture; shake gently to remove excess. Place on prepared tray.
Hershey Kiss Brownie Tarts For Valentine’s Day
Please take My poll
Do you like Hershey's Kisses
Do you have a recipe you would like to share? If so please send it to me at Email Below - I would love to post your recipe here.