Fresh Apple Recipes
My grandmothers taught me many wise things, the use of ginger is one, and related to that, is that an apple a day will keep the doctor away. Now of course, simply eating one apple a day by itself is no guarantee of health but eating apples regularly along with other healthy foods will help.
The lessons my grandmothers shared with me have had long lasting effects and the recipe for apple pie is one of them.
The only modification I have made is that mine is a sugar free version. Diabetes was not well known thenand sugar was everywhere, well it still isbit we do know more now.
Apple sauce is another excellent use for applesand apple sauce goes great on toast or added to oatmeal, for example.
Apple crisp is one of my wife’s favourite dishes and the video shows how to make it.
My maternal grandmother taught me about baked applesand it has become a winter favourite.
- 4 Granny Smith green apples
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove apple core, leaving a well. Do not cut all the way through.
- Stuff each apple with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and butter
- Place in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until apples are tender.
Remove and serve, makes a great desert inwinter time.
To add apples to your salad dish consider the following:
- Apples go great in a hardy salad with celery, chicory, red cabbage, carrot.
- Dress up a cold rice salad with diced apples or a couscoussalad.
- You can add two diced red apples to re lollo (lettuce and red romaine lettuce and use lemon juice for the dressing or a balsamic vinaigrette
- For a vegetable platter use apple slices along with carrot sticks, celery and broccoli.
The apples are a very versatile foodand as my grandmother was fond of saying an apple a day can keep the doctor away, eat Healthy, eat Wise.
When buying apples look for locally grown and/or organic apples. Be sure to wash apples before using.