- Food and Cooking
Red Pumpkin Chutney
Pumpkins, besides reminding us of Halloween, can be used as a vegetable for some tasty dishes and desserts.
This is an utterly simple recipe with a subtle sweet sour taste that goes well with rice eaters. For those who want to eat it with Indian flat bread (roti) it would be an unconventional but welcome change. There are very few ingredients required and you will easily find them in any store.
All photos in this hub: © Aster56
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 6
- Red Pumpkin - 250 gms.
- Green Chilies - 3
- Mustard - 2 teaspoons
- Curds - 1 cup
- Grated Coconut - 1 cup
- Ginger - 2" piece
- Dry Red Chilies - 5
- Curry leaves - 6-8
- Water - 1cup
- Coconut Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Wash the pumpkin, remove the skin and cut into small cubes. Cut ginger into tiny pieces. Keep aside.
- Take mustard (1.5 tsp) and grind it lightly (not fine). Take grated coconut and three red chilies and grind it fine.
- Take a kadhai or pan and put the pumpkin pieces, slit green chilies, ginger, salt and half cup of water. Cover and cook till the pumpkin is soft. Now mix the ground ingredients (coconut paste and mustard powder) and add it to the pumpkin. Mix well. Cover it and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add curds (preferably beaten) and mix well. Remove from the stove and keep aside.
- Seasoning : In a small kadhai, heat oil and add half a teaspoon of mustard. When it splutters add two red chilies and fry till they are dark brown. Add curry leaves. Pour this seasoning over the cooked pumpkin. Mix well.
- Red Pumpkin Chutney is ready to be served.