Recipe for Rich Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate Icing
Iced Chocolate Layer Cake
This recipe includes instructions for both baking a chocolate sponge cake, and for preparing the chocolate icing to go with it. It is very suitable for all celebrations and special occasions, especially birthdays.
Please Rate this Dish
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease and dust 2 9 inch cake pans with cocoa.
- Place the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir the ingredients together with a wire wisk until they blend fully.
- Add the milk, eggs, vanilla and oil and beat them with a wire wisk until they blend fully (about 2 minutes).
- While beating, heat the water in the microwave until it is boiling then stir the still-boiling liquid into the cake mix.
- Pour the batter into the pans you prepared earlier and bake them in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the pan's sides, the top springs back when pushed down with your thumb, or a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- While the cake is baking, melt together the butter and cocoa in a large saucepan and stir them together until the blend is smooth.
- Use an electric mixer to alternatly beat the milk and powdered sugar into the butter mixture until the icing is smooth and creamy.
- Stir the vanilla and salt into the blend.
- Cool the cake for 5 minutes and transfer it from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread the icing on top of one cake layer and place the other layer on top of it.
- Use the remaining icing to cover the top and sides of the cake.