Roast Vegetable Pie
Vegetable Pie with Hommous and Halloumi
Cheese always goes well with vegetables. One delicious way to blend the cheese with the vegetables is to bake up a pie, a warm hearty pie for the cooler months.
This recipe uses roasted vegetables, a flavoursome hommous and the excellent Cypriot cheese halloumi, all in a light golden pie crust.
I use frozen puff pastry sheets for this veggie pie but I've included a video which demonstrates how to make fabulous pastry. So simple it's startling!
The Vegetables in this Pie
Left to Right
Butternut Pumpkin (Butternut Squash), Capsicums (Bell Peppers), Zucchini (Courgettes) and Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 onion
- 2 zucchini - courgettes
- finely sliced small butternut pumpkin - butternut squashes
- 2 capsicums - bell peppers
- 2 small thinly sliced sweet potatoes
- small tub of hommous
- 2 sheets ready made puff pastry
- 500 g halloumi
- Chop and slice the vegetables and toss them in a little oil in a roasting pan. Roast for 15 - 20 minutes or more - until the vegetables are soft
- Bake the halloumi in the pan after the other vegetables are cooked - about 10 minutes
- Place a sheet of baking paper, or a piece of foil, in a pie dish. Fit to size. Lay one sheet of puff pastry down and spread hommous over it - not as far as the edges
- Place the sweet potato slices over the houmous and then add the rest of the vegetables in layers. Place the halloumi slices last.
- Cover with the second sheet of puff pastry. Seal and gloss with eggwash or milk.
- Bake about 20 - 30 minutes in medium heat until the pastry is done
Pie with Puff Pastry Sheets - from Huey
Many years ago when I was a very young mother and Huey was a much slimmer dark-haired man, I learned a lot from his television cooking shows. This simple vegetable pie is made from puff pastry sheets
Pie with Home Made Pie Crust
Joyce shows how to make an excellent pie crust. Quick, easy and tasty.
After the pie crust demonstration, Joyce continues for roughly 8 minutes to make the pie. The sound is bad but it's worth watching for the pie crust alone.
Got a Square Pie Dish?
In a convenient square shape - easy for baking sheets and frozen pastry sheets
Brushing with Egg Wash
Special Cookbooks for Special Pies - The Ultimate Pie Cookbook
How do you make pastry?
Do you make your own pastry?
© 2011 Susanna Duffy