- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Outside Round Roast Beef Recipe
Outside Round Roast Smothered in Tomatoes and More
During the fall and winter months this is one of the many pot roasts that I enjoy making for my family. When they walk in after work and smell the aroma drifting through the house, the first question is, "Mom what's for dinner."
One of things I like to do is experiment with food. Recipes don't always come out as good or as I thought they would. When this happens I either scrap the idea, or try to improve it. This recipe worked out really well and I'd like to share it here with you today.
All of the photos on this page are the property of the author Susan Zutautas. Please do not copy or borrow them without first getting permission to do so.
What Kind of Cook Are You
Do you like to experiment in the kitchen creating your own recipes?
Outside round or bottom round roasts can sometimes come out of the oven very dry and chewy. If you follow this recipe I guarantee this will not happen. It will come out juicy and tender.
Do you hate washing pots and pans as much as I do? You'll only have one roasting pan to wash when this meal is over. The entire entrée is cooked in one roasting pan.
Please note: If you don't happen to have Montreal Steak spice on hand you can use a combination of fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, onion salt, and red pepper.
- 4 - 5 pound outside round roast
- Montreal Steak Spice
- 2 Tbs. of vegetable of Canola oil
- 4 celery ribs chopped
- 1 large onion cut into 8 pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic
- each sliced into 3 pieces
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- Worcestershire Sauce (you can use the store brand)
- 5 medium potatoes washed and cut in half
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water
- 1. In the bottom of your roasting pan heat 2 TBS. of oil. (This can be done in a large frying pan if you prefer)
- 2. Generously coat the roast on both sides with Montreal steak spice seasoning or your combination spice mix.
- 3. Sear both sides of the roast in the pan for 3-4 minutes per side.
- 4. Remove the roast and set it on a plate.
- 5. Preheat oven to 300Â°F, and place oven rack in center of the oven.
- 6. Place the roasting pan back onto to stove top burner,set at medium high heat.
- 7. Add the celery, onion and garlic to the roasting pan.
- 8. Stir and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- 9. Add the can of diced tomatoes, 5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce, and the water. Stir and heat.
- 10.Remove half of the vegetable mixture juice and set aside.
- 11.Place the roast into the roasting pan on top of the vegetables.
- 12.Spoon the reserved vegetable mixture and juice over the top of the roast.
- 13.Place lid of roasting pan on or use aluminum foil to cover.
- 14.Place in oven for 2 Â¼ - 2 Â½ hours.
- 15.Every 45 minutes remove the roast from the oven turning the roast over.
- 16.Use a large spoon to cover the roast with the vegetables and juice.
- 17.45 minutes before the roast is cooked add the potatoes to the roasting pan.
- 18.Once the roast is cooked, remove from oven and place on a platter or serving plate.
- 19.Tent with aluminum foil (to keep the roast warm) for ten minutes before carving.
- 20.Slice, serve, and ENJOY!
Photo Tutorial For Making This RecipeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Dinner is ready, let's eat!
Garlic - One of my favorite ingredients.
I love garlic and can eat it cooked or raw. My family often jokes with me saying that if I could, I'd put garlic in chocolate cake. I've not tried to yet, but like the saying goes, don't knock something until you try it.
The other night I'd made a Caesar Salad and even though I thought it wasn't possible to do, I added one too many cloves to the dressing. It was a little on the hot side.
Do you use fresh garlic when you cook?
More Great Beef Recipes
- Eye of Round Roast Beef Dinner Recipe
Roast beef dinner recipe with easy to follow directions. Included is a recipe for garlic mashed potatoes.
© 2013 Susan Zutautas