Rye Bread Stuffing with Sausage and Apples
A Special Stuffing
My favorite Thanksgiving dish has to be stuffing. It's one of those dishes that I don't have too often, just around the holidays, so when the time comes, stuffing becomes my special dish. I usually don't stray too far from a traditional type stuffing, but I love this recipe for Rye Stuffing with Sausage and Apples. In fact, it's so good I could eat it for a main dish!
A Delicious Dish
I like to use a light rye bread which has a milder flavor than the dark and prefer a bread with caraway seeds. I toast the bread first, but if you like a moister, creamier stuffing, skip the toasting. The savory blend of rye bread and sausage goes so perfectly with the apples and makes for one delicious dish.
Make in Advance
This stuffing can be made a day in advance, which is so nice for a busy holiday dinner. After putting the stuffing in the baking dish, let cool, cover and refrigerate. It will be all ready to bake the next day. If you choose to stuff your bird, just follow cooking directions for a stuffed turkey.
- 1 lb. loaf of light rye bread
- 1 ib. pork sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups coarsely chopped apples
- 1 tbls. fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut rye bread into cubes and place on foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, stirring cubes until lightly browned.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage until cooked and crumbly
- Drain sausage on paper towels.
- Saute onions and celery in butter for about 5 minutes, add apples and rosemary.
- Continue sautÃ©ing onions, celery, apples and rosemary for another 7-8 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine bread, sausage, apple mixture, chicken broth and apple juice; toss.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 3 qt. baking dish.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until stuffing is browned on top.
Features recipes, tips and tricks for a great Thanksgiving dinner.
As always Williams-Sonoma help you prepare a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner.
First time or experienced, this book will be a great help for hosting Thanksgiving dinner.