- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Homemade Oil and Balsamic Vinegarette Salad Dressing
How to Create a Variety of Flavours in Less than 15 Minutes
Backstory ( Recipe below):
My sister-in-law, Resi lives in Switzerland. She is a fantastic cook. I also discovered something new from her kitchen. Apparently, most Europeans do not buy salad dressing…they make their own from scratch. She was positively amused that we buy salad dressing and pay so much for something so simple that can be whipped up in a moment's notice and with very few ingredients.
I am guilty of buying salad dressing because I am North American and we like convenience, but I have to admit the home made stuff is every bit as delicious; has no chemicals or preservatives, and is easy to prepare…so I should make it more often. The Europeans only make what is required for each salad…no leftovers in the fridge.
You don’t even need a recipe for making salad dressing once you have the basic combination of ingredients...it is that easy. You make it to your tastes!
Simpleingredients, great taste:
This simple basic dressing is whipped up in a jiffy: You add the flavours you like.
Vinaigrettes require oil, vinegar, water and spices, sweetness is added to cut the acidity and make the dressing milder.
The amounts are for one salad serving, so quick you can mix each up individually as you need it…but do make it up fresh every time and add fresh herbs if at all possible!
Mild vinaigrette that goes with any leafy salad, including salads with fruits added:
For each serving measure:
- 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil, (substitute olive oil or your favourite )
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, (substitute lemon juice, cider vinegar …or any other flavoured vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon of creamy honey (substitute sugar )
- a pinch of salt
- pepper to taste
- mix together until smooth
- Add only enough water, more or less to adjust the intensity of the flavours. (if you like strong dressing use less water!
- Salad herbs of your choice
Variations to Create Your Own Signature Dressing
To vary the flavour:
To this you can also any one of the following: mustard, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, a little wine, fruit juice (not all of these at once) plus fresh or dried herbs that are compatible with the flavours and dishes of your main course. Add the “extras” in small quantities for subtle flavour.
I like the basic 4 ingredients the best and add one or two of the others to change the flavour slightly.
The idea is to use the basic 4 ingredients of oil, vinegar, honey and water ( or the substitutes) and come up with different flavour combinations each time. It is like having a fridge full of different flavours!
A dressing with grape seed oil, balsamic and honey will taste different than using olive oil, wine vinegar and sugar with Italian herbs…you get the idea.
Because you make up the dressing in serving sizes you save space and don’t have expired salad dressings in the fridge.
Best of all you can come up with your own “Signature “ house dressing, that will always be on hand!
There are many ways to make a complete meal with your green salad.
In the summer: make it a complete meal by adding a combination of protein , starches and fruits and vegetables!
- protein (chunks of ham, chicken, cheese,egg, seafood)
- starches (I cook more than I would use at another meal and use the leftover for salads such as:cooked potato- regular and sweet, pasta and even rice - in moderation),
- fruit (apple, orange segments, pineapple and even ripe papaya or mango chunks)
- vegetables: cooked peas or fresh, grated carrot, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower etc.
- garnishes of dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, flax seed, bacon bits and nuts
In the winter: Complement your salad with a great beef stew and fresh bread, spaghetti and all pasta dishes and casseroles!
- Ingredients in Cheez Whiz, Healthier than Cheese?
facts: Cheez Whiz comes into its own,Cheez Whiz is made from real Canadian Cheddar, Canadian Cheez Whiz is made from real Canadian Cheddar! Cheez Whiz is a processed cheese sauce,Cheese Whiz ingredient list
- Timmie's Oatmeal Breakfast; My version - Simple and Quick
I have been making this breakfast for decades it seems and it never loses it's appeal, because it is never boring! I am one for simple recipes made fast, it is just me, I have other things I want to do, like...