Salmon and Cauliflower Cheese Pie
A few days ago, I had to defrost and clean out the fridge, so I had to use up lots of food that had been lurking in the back of the shelves. I was left with some fresh salmon fillets, a large cauliflower, cheddar cheese and a few other veggies. What to cook? I decided on a salmon and cauliflower cheese pie.
Fish Pies are popular with both kids and adults, simply because they taste so good. There are many different variations of fish pie, depending on your budget for fillings. You can try cod, or other white fish, smoked fish, salmon, prawns or a mixture of these ingredients. The traditional topping for a fish pie is mashed potato, sometimes with a cheese crust, to add extra flavor.
For my salmon and cauliflower cheese pie, I decided to add fried onion and chopped parsley, but you could use chopped scallions and other herbs according to your preference. I served the salmon pie with green beans, julienned carrot and peas.
My taster's verdict? Very good, and worth cooking regularly!
- 2 Salmon fillets
- 1 small Cauliflower
- 1/2 Onion
- 3 large Potatoes
- 1 cup Cheese Sauce
- 1 oz Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 oz Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Chopped parsley
- Peel and slice potatoes; boil until tender, then mash with butter
- Cut cauliflower into small florets; boil until tender
- Chop the onion finely; saute in olive oil
- Remove the skin from the salmon, then chop into cubes
- Add the salmon cubes to the onion, cook for 3-4 minutes, turning carefully so they salmon stays in chunks
- I added chopped parsley at this point, but you could use other herbs that you like
- Put layers of cauliflower, salmon and cheese sauce into an oven proof dish
- Cover with a layer with mashed potato
- Top with grated cheddar cheese
- Bake for 25 mins at a moderate oven (gas mark 5, 375Â°F or 190Â°C)
This is the #1 selling potato masher on Amazon. It has a stainless-steel wire head, with nonslip, rubber cushioned handle. It can tackle potato, yam, carrot, swede, apple, banana, and more.
You can peel vegetables with ease with this Precision Kitchenware dual purpose kitchen tool. It can also be flipped over to make stylish julienned vegetables.
Pie Dishes and Plates
For cooking and presenting your fish pie, you will need a pie dish or plate.
Pyrex baking dish, with ergonomic, easy to hold handles. Great for cooking, and looks good as a serving dish on the table.
Use this pie plate for pies, fish pies, quiches and more. Glass is microwave, oven, fridge, freezer & dishwasher safe.