The Bacon-Onion "B'onion" Sandwich
Great Sandwich for "Eat What You Want Day" on May 11
Until this year, I didn't know that this wonderful holiday even existed!
Although I basically celebrate it every day of the year, I am going to put it on my calendar to remember it annually.
To celebrate "Eat what you Want Day" this year, I made a fantastic sandwich for lunch, the Turkey Bacon and Green Onion "B'onion." I actually made this sandwich by accident. Most fantastic sandwiches were discovered that way.
I encourage you to try this sandwich. If you love bacon, which most people do, and onions, you will notice that they make a wonderful combination. It is an easy lunchtime taste explosion for you and your family and is a quick and very easy recipe.
"Eat what you Want Day!"
"Eat what you Want Day" is celebrated on May 11 of every year.
Although nobody seems to know its origin, the purpose of this day is self-explanatory. You have a chance to eat whatever you want, despite the calories. However, you can also eat just a little of what you want, in moderation.
This isn't a day for people that can't eat certain foods to eat something unhealthy. Please eat in moderation and use your common sense!
Have fun and celebrate this holiday with me. I plan to eat pizza!
The Oster Toaster Oven - Not just for Toast - This is the toaster oven that I use every day.
If you don't have a toaster, a toaster oven is a must-have accessory.
I can surely recommend toaster ovens by Oster. I never use my home oven anymore. In the Summer, when it is hot outside, you don't want to heat up your whole house. This toaster oven will cook anything that a large oven will cook at a fraction of the cost of electricity.
The Ingredients for the B'onion Sandwich
I eat onions with anything.
One day when I was making a bacon sandwich, I had some leftover green onions and found that they are a fantastic combination with bacon. Thus, the "B'onion" was born!
I use turkey bacon, Smart Balance Omega mayonnaise and wheat bread for the healthiest sandwich but you can substitute any types that you want. You can make this sandwich Vegetarian or Vegan by using meatless bacon and a mayo substitute. if you choose to do so, just omit the mayonnaise altogether.
I do not butter my bread before or after toasting but you can certainly do that also.
- Whole Wheat Bread
- Turkey or meatless bacon
- Smart Balance or other Mayonnaise
- 3 Green onions
- 1) Place 5-6 strips of turkey bacon on doubled-up paper towels.
- 2) Cover the turkey bacon with one more paper towel.
- 3) Put the turkey bacon in the microwave on high setting for 4 to 4 1/2 minutes, depending on the crispness desired. I like mine crispy! Set the turntable so it will not spin.
- 4)Toast the bread in the toaster or toaster oven. Although you can butter the bread or toast if you desire, I prefer mine without.
- 5) When toast is complete, put mayonnaise on one side of one slice of bread.
- 6) Cut the green onions into 3 sections after trimming off the ends and place on top of the mayonnaise.
- 7) Put the bacon across the green onions and cover with the bread.
- I prefer to slice the sandwich diagonally.
- Serve and enjoy!
Step by Step Photo Directions for the B'onion Sandwich - All photos taken by author, tvypsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ever had a B'onion or any other type of Bacon Sandwich?
What type of bacon sandwich have you experienced?
Even though they are Pronounced the same, why is a "B'onion" not a "Bunion?" - OUCH!
- It doesn't give you a problem when walking across the room.
- You don't cover it with a sock.
- You probably won't need surgery after eating one.
- You wouldn't have corn when on a B'onion, but you might have a corn with a bunion.
- You probably wouldn't have a foot long "B'onion" but you might have a bunion a long time on your foot!