- Food and Cooking
The Sandwich Toaster
A Fun Twist on Making Sandwiches
The sandwich toaster is a small, electric kitchen appliance that heats your sandwich and seals it to create a pocket filled with sweet or savory ingredients.
It's a great way to make snacks and meals that feel fun and special, though these sandwiches are really simple and easy to make.
These gadgets come in handy for creating grilled cheese sandwiches, pizzas, deli-style "pocket" sandwiches, and even pies and cakes.
Most sandwich makers toast two sandwiches at a time in about 5 minutes. Each sandwich is cut in half and sealed along the edges inside the sandwich toaster, making four triangles at a time.
There are many recipes and recipe ideas to use with the sandwich maker. Toasted pocket sandwiches are typically made with bread, but tortillas are a common substitute. Some recipes even utilize pancake or cake batter! Sandwiches can be made vegan or otherwise tweaked to meet your dietary needs.
The sandwich makers have a non-stick surface, so they just wipe clean.
All sandwich makers have a similar design for creating toasted and sealed sandwiches. They make toasted pocket sandwiches in a few minutes and have nonstick surfaces for easy cleaning.
Making Hot Sandwiches is Quick and Easy with a Sandwich Toaster
These hot pocket sandwiches are easy to make and don't have the cleanup involved with making hot sandwiches in a frying pan.
Just about all of the gooey sandwich fillings remain inside the sandwich pockets. Any modest amount that happens to escape and land on the sandwich toaster is easily wiped clean with a damp cloth.
This is a great little kitchen appliance for making quick and delicious snacks or meals for yourself or for kids. It is not terribly expensive, with most models costing about $20. It doesn't take up much space and is a convenient tool to use in the kitchen.
The sandwich toaster makes a great gift for anyone who would appreciate the convenience of quick and easy meals!
Enjoy quick and easy hot sandwiches
with an inexpensive sandwich maker!
A Quick Video
This gives a good idea of how to use the sandwich maker.
The only thing is that you would typically use four slices of bread to make two sandwiches rather than laying one sandwich across the middle of the sandwich toaster.
How the Sandwich Toaster Works - Basic instructions for using a sandwich maker
Naturally, you want to follow the instruction manual for your specific sandwich toaster, but they all operate in a similar manner.
- When making a toasted sandwich, first spray the sandwich toaster with oil. Then close the lid and plug the unit into an electrical outlet.
- As the sandwich maker heats up to toasting temperature, prepare your sandwiches. Use a recipe or follow your imagination. Do not overstuff the sandwiches or they will not properly seal.
- When the sandwich maker is ready, the indicator light will go on.
- Place the sandwiches into the sandwich toaster and close the lid. Wait approximately five minutes, until the bread is toasted and the insides are hot.
- Unplug the sandwich maker, unless you are going to make more sandwiches right away.
- Open the sandwich maker. Be careful because the surface will be HOT!!! Gently remove the sandwiches using a nonstick-friendly utensil. Do not use a metal or sharp utensil for this. Personally, I recommend Lexan, which is strong but heat-resistant.
- The sandwiches will be sealed, but they may still need to be cut apart to make separate triangles. Again, use caution during this step, since the sandwiches - particularly the insides - may be very hot.
- Allow sandwiches to cool a bit. I know you'll be excited to eat them, but it's best to wait a few minutes so you don't burn your mouth, especially if there is melted cheese in the sandwich!
- Once the sandwich toaster is completely cooled, clean it off by simply wiping with a damp cloth.
The sandwiches are VERY HOT when they come out of the sandwich maker!
The surface of the appliance likewise gets very hot.
Use appropriate caution, and do not allow young children near the sandwich toaster when it is hot.
Allow sandwiches to cool before biting into the hot insides!
Lexan utensils are perfect for removing your sandwiches from the sandwich maker!
I highly recommend using Lexan utensils to pop sandwiches out of the sandwich toaster. They don't scratch like metal (unless you're really digging in with the knife!), and they won't immediately melt from the heat of the sandwich maker.
These are great tools for using with hot electric kitchen appliances! They also come in handy on picnics and camping trips.
Pizza pocket before toasting
A Sampling of Sandwich Ideas
There are lots of different kinds of sandwiches you can create with this kitchen gadget!
Here are just a few ideas. Adapt the recipes to suit your own dietary needs and tastes.
- Grilled Cheese: Butter both sides of bread. Sprinkle insides of slices with garlic powder. Add shredded mozzarella.
- Pizza Pockets: Same as grilled cheese, but spread pizza sauce on bread before adding cheese.
- Peanut Butter and Banana: Add chocolate chips for that something extra-special!
- Deli Sandwiches: Slices of meat and cheese or vegan versions thereof.
- Fruit Pies: Spread apple butter on the bread. Add fresh berries - raspberries, blueberries, strawberries. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Crispy Quesadillas: Spray one side of one tortilla with non-stick cooking spray and place in the sandwich maker (spray-side down), top with about 1 tablespoon each of beans, salsa, cheese, and sour cream. Spray one side of another tortilla and place on top (spray-side up). Note: Tortillas should be cut to fit the space in the sandwich maker.
- Peekaboos: Place a small amount of margarine in each of the sandwich maker wells. Preheat about 5 minutes. Fill the wells halfway with pancake batter, then place a tofu hot dog (or regular hot dog) on top of batter. Put a little more batter on top. Grill for about 3 to 5 minutes. Serve hot with powdered sugar and syrup.
- Hot Dog Pocket: Preheat the sandwich maker. Spray two slices of bread with non-stick spray on one side. Place one slice, spray-side down on the sandwich maker grill. Add (vegan or regular) cheese, then top with diced (tofu or regular) hot dogs. Place the other slice of bread on top, spray-side up.
- Ice Cream Sandwich: Preheat the sandwich maker. Spray both sides of the sandwich maker with non-stick cooking spray. Pour your prepared chocolate cake batter into the wells until they are 3/4 of the way full. Close the lid to the sandwich maker and wait until it's baked. Take out the cakes and let cool 5 minutes. Once cooled, place one scoop of ice cream inside two pieces of cooled sandwich maker cakes.
Peanut Butter, Bananas, and Chocolate Chips before toasting
If you're looking for a vegan cheese, there are only two options that are both
DELICIOUS and MELTY.
Don't bother with anything other than Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet or Daiya!
If you're looking for a vegan cheese, there are only two options that are both DELICIOUS and MELTY.
Vegan Gourmet and Daiya are the best vegan cheeses around!
(I wouldn't bother with any other brand.)