- Food and Cooking
Send Grapefruit - A Wonderful Gift
Healthy and tasty - grapefruit. A fabulous gift idea
I'm lucky to live in Florida. That means that I have the most wonderful array of citrus fruits - including the gorgeous ones you see here - available all the time. There can't be many foods that are as versatile, healthy and tasty as citrus fruit. And they make a fantastic gift - they are easy to order - and send - online.
I love to sent citrus fruits as a gift - oranges and grapefruit are wonderful and I'm particularly fond of sending the ruby red variety. It seems to be juicier and firmer that others.
Food treats are always a wonderful idea and they are perfect to send to family members such as students at college or seniors who might not be eating properly.
It's always appreciated as a gift when I send these to friends in other parts of the country. They say that it's like getting some of our wonderful sunshine delivered to their door! Sometimes I send a combo box of both grapefruit and oranges. When juiced together, this is a great combination. I think that many of us think that we ought to eat more fruit and when you send citrus fruit to a friend as a gift, it's certain to be appreciated.
Fresh and fruity!
Why people love fresh fruit
At one time, we lived in a house that had a grapefruit tree in the garden. It was paradise - starting the day with half a fresh fruit for breakfast. It sets the tone for the rest of the day when you start the morning with great healthy food.
This is a fruit that has almost zero calories, no fat and no cholesterol. Over the years, it has has been hailed as a 'miracle diet food'. Being skeptical, I wouldn't go as far to say that 'miracle' is exactly the right word but it can certainly help if you're trying to lose weight.
SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE
I don't know of anyone who wouldn't eat these delicious fruits either as they are, in a delicious recipe or made into refreshing, healthy juice. When so many people have special diets these days - gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, low-fat and more - it's excellent to be able to send a gift that everyone will love.
Of course, any citrus fruits are delicious eaten just as they are. But there are so many other ways to eat - or drink - them. Many chefs and expert cooks use them in savory recipes. It's is a great addition to salads and even salsas. A glass of juice is a glass of sunshine! That in itself makes everyone feel good.
All cooks know how important presentation is when preparing meals. One of the features I love so much about these fruit is that they are simply so pretty. Slices or segments look great as garnishes.
How to order
To send this beautiful gift by mail, all you have to do is place your order online. Why not treat yourself too? We all deserve a daily dose of sunshine.
- I often use red grapefruit in salad. I like it with baby spinach leaves and a few chopped nuts. (If I'm in a hurry, pine nuts from a jar). Pistachios seem to go very well with this salad too. If I have fresh cilantro, that's a great addition.
- They are delicious broiled. I cut them in half and sprinkle each with cinnamon and a little honey. (If you're vegan and don't eat honey. I've tried one of the honey substitutes and it was excellent). Then put them under the broiler for about five minutes until they start to bubble.
- Grapefruit and avocado is a great combination. I arrange sliced avocado (brushed with a little lemon juice) and sliced red fruit on a bed of green salad leaves - kale is a favorite at the moment. Again, I like to add chopped nuts for added nutrition and a good crunch. This looks as good as it tastes and I often serve this when we have guests.
- Mint goes beautifully with citrus. I like to drink fruit juice with sprigs of mint. I find that commercial mint ice creams taste artificial but a good vanilla ice cream served with grapefruit and mint leaves is delicious.
- Try making Mimosas using red grapefruit juice rather than orange juice. This is perfect for a leisurely Sunday brunch.
- Add slices to sliced, toasted French bread that has been spread with delicious marmalade. That's a lovely breakfast treat.
My favorite drink recipe
Duck Key Fuzz
It was a beautiful Florida day and we were driving to Key West. We stopped at a small store and bought some fresh bread, some fresh tomatoes and some cheese to eat for lunch. There were some delicious-looking red grapefruit at the store too and we couldn't resist. We also bought a bottle of Tanqueray gin and a bag of ice.
We stopped at the next key to eat lunch. We then developed our new drink - two thirds freshly squeezed red grapefruit juice and one third gin served over ice. Luckily, I wasn't driving!
This drink became a favorite and thanks to the key we were on at the time, we called it Duck Key Fuzz.
Note: Do not drink Duck Key Fuzz and say its name out loud.After a couple of glasses, the words can come out wrong - embarrassingly!
- The USA is the world's largest grower of these delicious fruit. China is number two.
- It is an excellent source of vitamin C.
- Red and pink grapefruit contains lycopene which is has been shown to prevent some cancers. One of these is prostate cancer in particular.
- Eating citrus fruits is a lot easier with special spoons. These have a pointed bowl with serrated sides.
- Half a grapefruit will give you your daily vitamin C requirements - another reason to eat one for breakfast!
- Despite being so juicy, they also provides your body with fiber.
- Many people think that calcium comes mainly from dairy products but the good news for vegans is that it's also found in grapefruit.
- Three quarters of the grapefruit grown in the States is comes from Florida.
- Because of its vitamin C content, the juice is perfect to ward off colds.
Easily order & send a great gift
I know that you'll agree with me that these make a splendid gift and another reason for this is because they are so easy to order online. At one time, only lucky Floridians could send such a lovely gift to their friends and family but now you can do so wherever you are!
Further reading & recipes
Fruit is so good to add to the diet and so tasty too. Why not send a book along with your gift? Just take a look at these - what a great selection is available these days,
Eating and preparing help
When I was a kid growing up, my mum had all these items.
She had special spoons (yes, they have been around as long as that!), a knife and a simple hand juicer.
This made getting the goodness of the fruit so much easier.
Complete your gift
A simple citrus squeezer can make delicious juice without the need of complicated machinery that needs careful washing.
These are a great way to complete your gift.
© 2013 Jackie Jackson