- Food and Cooking
Seven Spices Baked Beans Recipe
This recipe is one of my favorite dishes to make. And luckily, it is hearty enough to be the main course (although when we're having lots of guests over, we also use this as a side dish - it can be perfect for both!).
A few tips about this recipe -
1. It is LARGE, so you can definitely cut it down or cut things out. However, it is amazing as a leftover and it will certainly last at least a week in the fridge, so this can act as a few different meals throughout the week.
2. There are really no components in this recipe that are totally essential, so feel free to alter it to your liking! My husband loves spicy food, so there are spicy ingredients in this, but all of those have been added over time (the original recipe was actually not very spicy). And while this is a vegetarian dish, he also loves bacon, so I occasionally add that to the mix as well!
3. If you decide to eat this as your main dish, have some buttered bread with it! It will taste great and cool down some of the spice.
all images © gardenharbor
2 large vidalia onions
2 jalapeno peppers
1 large (28oz) can of Bush's Vegetarian baked beans
1 can of dark red kidney beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of butter beans (or Greater Nothern beans)
1 can (or 2 mini cans) of lima beans
2 tsp. ground chipotle chili pepper
1 heaping tablespoon of garlic (pre-minced or fresh)
2 tbsp. spicy honey mustard (or just regular spicy mustard)
2 tbsp. spicy barbeque sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
The Onion Mixture
1. Chop up onions in large bite size pieces (nickel - quarter sized)
2. Saute onions in large pot (this will be the pot you use for everything). The onions should have enough natural juices that you won't need to add oil or anything, but if they do seem dry, you can add a little olive oil
3. When onions start to get soft and are getting dry, add the apple cider vinegar
4. Mix in spicy bbq sauce, spicy mustard, and garlic
5. Chop jalapenos in tiny pieces and mix into onion mixture
7. Mix in Bush's beans INCLUDING the sauce it is in
8. Drain all juices out of the other beans and add the beans to the mixture
9. Add the chipotle chili pepper to the mixture. If you've never used this stuff, it can definitely add a lot of heat, so only add what you think you can handle.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste
11. Stir until everything is hot! Then you are good to go :)
The Final Product
Once you have finished your beans, they are ready to serve! They are a great dish to have as a leftover, so you can also store them in the fridge and then microwave a bowl when you're ready to eat.
Eat Beans With Every Meal
Sign measures 8 by 10 inches, 1/8" thick, approx. 7 oz.Tempered hardboard (wood) sign with plastic front and holes for easy hangingPerfect gift for birthdays, Christmas, graduations, & more!Fun, exclusive design by New Retro SignworksMade in the USA