Delicious Orange And Cinnamon Shortbread Recipe
Try These Easy Homemade Cookies for Special Occasions
Welcome to my shortbread recipe!
Everyone loves homemade cookies and when it comes to special occasions, it's worth spending a little time and effort to make something extra delicious. We all like a treat every now and then and baking cookies can be one of them. When you do so, at least you know what has gone into them and can ensure that you feed your family only the best ingredients. With this shortbread recipe, these delicious orange and cinnamon cookies offer the fresh, aromatic taste of real orange mixed with the warming spice of cinnamon, resulting in a light, buttery shortbread that melts in your mouth and leaves you begging for more.
The art of home baking
is threatened to extinction with the easy and cheap mass-produced, shop-bought cookies, but recipes such as these offer hope that tantalizes the taste buds and reminds you that there really isn't anything quite as good as "mother's home cooking."
So get your aprons on and warm the oven up. The house will soon be filled with the aroma of these delicious treats that will provide the perfect welcome for your next guest. And don't forget to vote in the poll below for your favourite cookie ingredient!
Cookies are often called biscuits in England.
For the shortbread::
- 4oz (125g) plain flour and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, sieved together
- 1oz (30g) soft light brown sugar
- zest of 1/2 orange.
- 2 1/2oz (75g) butter, softened
For the filling::
- 1 1/2oz (45g) butter
- 3oz (90g) icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice.
- Set the oven to Gas 4 (180C/350F) and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Rub the butter into the flour and cinnamon until the mixture binds together into a ball.
- Add the sugar and orange zest
- Roll out the shortbread dough on a floured surface to 3mm thickness and cut out 24 rounds or squares with a 3-4cm round or square cookie cutter.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in centre of oven for 12-15 mins until edges just start to tinge brown.
- Remove to a wire rack until completely cool.
- Beat the filling ingredients together, adding the juice last.
- Spread this onto a cooled biscuit and place another biscuit on top to sandwich it.
- Dust with icing sugar.
Serve Your Homemade Cookies
Serve your orange and cinnamon shortbread with a steaming cup of tea or coffee. Or label and take along to your local charity coffee morning or craft fayre.
When Baking Cookies-
What Is Your Favourite Magic Cookie Ingredient?
© 2010 Christine Hulme