Sicilian Eggplant Lasagna for St Joseph's Table
Recipe for St Joseph's Table
St Joseph's Table is a new feast for me and another delicious event to add to my March calendar.
This year I made a delicious eggplant lasagna for the occasion.
1 large eggplant (peeled, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
1 small bunch of fresh Basil (chopped)
1 medium jar of pasta sauce
1 medium can of diced tomatoes
3/4 cup Romano or Parmesan (grated)
1/2 cup grated Mozzarella
1 medium tub of ricotta
Sheets of lasagne (cooked al dente, drained on clean kitchen towels)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover large cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with oil.
- Place eggplant slices on sheet, spray with oil, and place into oven (ten minutes on each side).
- While eggplant is cooking, blend ricotta and basil until smooth.
- Combine pasta sauce and tomatoes. Stir well.
- Remove eggplant when done and set aside.
- Cover bottom of your choice of lasagna baking dish with a layer of tomato sauce.
- Add a layer of lasagne to cover bottom.
- Add blended ricotta and cover evenly.
- Top with a ladle of tomato sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Romano.
- Add another layer of lasagne and cover with enough eggplant slices to cover.
- Top with ladle of tomato sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Romano
- Add another layer of lasagne.
- Top with remainder of eggplant.
- Top with a ladle of tomato sauce.
- Top with final layer of lasagne.
- Cover with tomato sauce, Mozzarella, and remainder of Romano.
- At this point, the lasagne may be covered and refrigerated overnight. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees for 10 minutes and place dish, covered, in oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove lid and continue to bake for 15 minutes. The top should be brown and bubbling. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
St Joseph's Table
Fruits and Vegetables of Sicily
The Ultimate Lasagna Baking Pan
The easiest way to prepare, cook and present lasagna. The form of the pan fits the noodles perfectly and the finished lasagna keeps its shape and is delightfully easy to serve
Tell me your opinion of Eggplants
What do you think about eggplants?
© 2012 Susanna Duffy