Simple Homemade Meatball Recipe
My husband is Italian and one of his shared recipes that comes from his Grandma Anna is this homemade meatball recipe that she used in her homemade spaghetti sauce and for her lasagna recipe. Every time she made her homemade pasta noodles, her spaghetti sauce, stuffed shells, manicotti or lasagna she always included a side of meatballs that complemented the dish perfectly.
This is the same recipe we used when we owned our own Italian restaurant, gave credit to my husband's great grandmother for her recipes and everyone simply raved at how full of flavor they were. Even though we no longer have a restaurant, we still make large batches of meatballs and often freeze them so they're always ready when we get in the mood for one of our favorite comfort foods.
Homemade meatballs are so easy to make that I'm often surprised when I see people buying them at the grocery store. Who knows what all those ingredients are that are listed on the packaging - I'd rather make my own and you will too once you try these. It's one of the easiest recipes you can make that taste so much better than any other store bought. With just a few ingredients and less than an hour of your time, you can use meatballs in any spaghetti recipe, for a sub, to make wedding soup, as an appetizer or as an entree with an oil, garlic and basil sauce.
Let's start cooking!
image by author: rnhealthinfo
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- Yields: 35
- 5 pounds of ground chuck meat
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 loaf of bread
- 1 cup of milk to soften bread
- One medium onion finely diced
- A couple teaspoons each of diced garlic and basil
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, add the bread crumbled up.
- Add the milk and blend into the bread until softened.
- Add the eggs and mix with hands.
- Mix in the meat and onion.
- Add the grated cheese, salt and pepper.
- Once completely mixed, form round meatballs using the stainless steel meatball maker shown below or simply use a teaspoon or tablespoon as a guide and roll into round balls.
- Set aside until all the meat mixture is formed into whatever size meatball you choose.
- Using a nonstick skillet on medium heat, add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the meatballs to the skillet and brown thoroughly on all sides.
- Place browned meatballs in your favorite spaghetti sauce for approximately 30 minutes until fully cooked.
- It's that simple to make your own meatballs!
- Tip: If you don't want to take the extra step to brown the meatballs first, you can skip it and place your raw meatballs directly into the sauce. Longer cooking will be required until they're fully brown on the inside.
If you want to make sure that all your meatballs are uniform in size, this stainless steel meat ball maker does the trick creating perfect 1.5" meatballs! Simply hold firmly, place into the meat mixture, squeeze and then open to release your masterpiece into the skillet for browning.