Simple No-Knead Hot Cross Bun Recipe
Simple Hot X Bun Recipe - No Kneading
This no-knead simple Hot Cross Bun recipe is ideal for making buns at Easter or to enjoy at any other time of year. You don't need a bread machine and because it's a batter bread there is no kneading. It's easy to mix and your kitchen will soon be filled with the delicious aroma of fresh baked spicy buns.
If you like to experiment, try changing the spices or use different dried fruits. It's easy to make your own special variety of Hot Cross Buns.
Simple Batter Hot Cross Bun Recipe
No-Knead Batter Hot Cross Bun Recipe
This recipe makes enough batter for about 24 Hot Cross Buns
4 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
2 sachets (14g) Activated Yeast
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Eggs, beaten
Plain or Allpurpose Flour to make paste for crosses (optional)
1 tablespoon Softened Butter or Margarine
2 cups Warm Water
1 cup Raisins or Currants (or a combination)
1/2 cup Mixed Candied Peel (optional, may be replaced with other dried fruits or more raisins)
Good Friday Hot Cross Buns
1. In a large bowl, combine half the flour, the salt, sugar, spices, butter and yeast.
2. Add the water and eggs, stir well with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining flour. The mix should have the consistancy of a thick batter, add more flour or water to adjust if necessary. Add the fruit and stir for another 5 minutes.
4. Scrape down the sides, cover the bowl and allow to rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
5. Once doubled, uncover and stir down. Spoon the batter into well greased large muffin pans. Fill the pans to about 2/3.
6. Cover and allow to rise until the muffin pans are filled, about 1/2 an hour. Preheat oven to 375 F or 180 C
7. If crosses are required, make a paste using plain or allpurpose flour and water. Place the paste into a piping bag with a small nozzle. A sauce battle with a narrow nozzle could also be used.
8. When the buns are large enough, pipe crosses (or other shapes if you feel creative).
9. Place into the oven for around 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool on wire racks (or eat while still hot).
10. Serve warm with fresh butter and enjoy.
If you need to reheat your buns, just put them into a moderate oven for 5 minutes. If you are in a hurry you can use a microwave, about 30 seconds for each bun.
For a Glossy Finish
Immediately after baking, while the buns are still hot, brush the top with a mixture of sugar and hot water. Sweet shiny sticky buns! Yummy!
Not Enough Pans?
If you don't have enough muffin pans to bake all of the mix in one go, cover and refrigerate the remaining mix until you get the pans back for a second batch.
Got the Urge to Bake? Then you need these!
Traditional Recipe For Hot Cross Buns - If you don't mind kneading, try this.
This more traditional recipe takes a little longer and needs a little bit more effort but it turns out some really delicious buns. Do try it!