Simple Summer Recipes
Mussels -Moules MariniÃ¨re
The first time I tried Moules MariniÃ¨re was upstairs in the French Horn Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire in the 80's. I had never tried them before that because I was a little apprehensive, I'm glad the French Horn did a good job, as they have been a favourite for years.
Here in Spain we do most of our cooking outside in an outdoor kitchen, usally consisting of work tops, a sink and a large grill. Mussels are easy to cook on the grill and the whole dish only takes a few minutes.
Belgium's eat them with French fries we like to eat them with Avgolemono Potatoes or Papas Arrugades and Mojo sauces and of course, a round of French/Spanish style baguette.
Below I have included a mussel recipe and the recipe for Avgolemono Potatoes.
- 1.8 kg/4lb or 2.3 l/4 pt Fresh Mussels
- 2 Onions Chopped
- 2 Shallots Chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic Chopped
- 2 TBLS Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 150 ml/1/2 PT White Wine
- 40 G/11/2 oz Butter
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Crusty French Bread To Serve
- Clean the Mussels and throw any away that are cracked or stay open when tapped.
- Simmer the onions, shallots, garlic, 1 tbls of parsley, wine and 150ml/1/4 pt of water for 2 minutes.
- Add the mussels; cover and leave to steam over a gentle heat for 5 minutes or until the shells open, shaking the pan occasionally. Drain the mussels by tipping into a colander set over a bowl.
- Throw away any mussels that have not opened. Pour the mussels liquid from the bowl into a saucepan. Put the saucepan over a low heat, whisk in the butter and add the salt and ground black pepper.
- Put the mussels in a soup tureen or wide bowl. Pour the sauce over the mussels and sprincle on the rest of the chopped parsley. Serve with the French bread to mop up the leftover sauce. Provide a large bowl to discard the empty shells.
- The best way to pluck the cooked mussels out of the shell is to use an empty pair of shells, which are still hinged, this can be used as pincers.
- Image Source
This video is so clear and easy to follow it's superb.
Bistros and Brasseries - The Culinary Institute of America Dining Series
Recipes and Reflections on Classic Cafe Cooking
Mussels with French Fries
- 450 G/ 1LB small scrubbed new potatoes.
- 15 G/1/2 OZ Butter
- 1 TBLS Flour
- 150 ML /1/4 PT Hot Vegetable stock
- 1 egg
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Cook the potatoes in a pan and drain and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour, add the stock, stir until boiling and thickened.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and whisk in the lemon juice and tbls cold water.
- Pour the hot sauce onto the egg mixture in the bowl. Mix well and return to the pan. Stir the sauce continuously as it heats through avoid boiling or it will curdle.
- Pour the hot sauce over the potatoes and mix gently coating all the potatoes evenly.
- Serve cold or hot.
MUSSELS IN GALICIAN SAUCE
Add Sweet white wine and Saffron.
Also some people add cream.