- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Six Bean Salad
Easy Six Bean Salad
This is one of the easiest bean salads that I make. If you are planning to have this for dinner I recommend either making it the night before or first thing in the morning . This way the salad dressing will have a chance to mingle and marinate with all the ingredients.
I make this salad for four adults. If you're feeding a large group of people you may want to double or triple the ingredients. It's a great salad to take to a potluck, picnic, or any function where you need to bring food.
Bean salads are healthy and filling as well.
Picture source: All pictures in this article are the property of the author Susan Zutautas. If you'd like to borrow or use them please get written permission before doing so.
Tools for the Cook
I've been through many garlic presses and have come to the conclusion that if you spend a bit more on a press it will in fact last you longer. The Oxo has a large garlic chamber,built-in cleaner that pushes out pulp, has soft grips for comfort, and can be put in the dishwasher.
What kind of beans are in this salad?
Red Kidney Beans
Black Eyed Peas
Beans are low in fat, very high in fiber and they are a good source of iron.
Ingredients for Six Bean Salad
For the Salad
1 19 ounce or 540 ml can of mixed beans
3 scallions or 1/2 of a small thinly sliced sweet onion
1/2 of a green pepper
1 large radish
10-15 fresh green beans
For the Salad Dressing
2-3 garlic cloves
2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbs. of apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. of liquid honey
2 squirts of lemon juice
fresh ground pepper
Instructions for a Six Bean Salad - Let's get chopping and tossing!
1. Start by chopping the scallions, green pepper, radish or radishes, and green beans. I only used one radish as it was fairly big. You can cook the green beans first or use them raw, which is what I do for this salad.
2. Drain and rinse the can of mixed beans and put them into a medium size bowl.
3. Add the veggies and gently mix.
4. In a small bowl using a garlic press, add the pressed garlic. To this add the EVOO, apple cider vinegar, honey, fresh ground pepper, and lemon. Whisk until blended.
5. Pour the salad dressing over the bean and vegetable mix tossing gently making sure everything is well coated.
6. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
7. Before serving, mix again.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Do You Enjoy Bean Salads?
For some reason I have an obsession with bowls. I love bowls and feel I'll never have enough of them. The ones shown below are on my current "must get list".