Slow Cook Pears Stuffed with Cheese
Poached Pear Taste Sensation for Dessert
The scrumptious creamy filling for these pears guarantees a sublime dish for any occasion.
You can serve them as an elegant dessert to guests while the sheer simplicity of slow cooking guarantees a hassle free treat for any night of the week.
Inspired by the Ancient Romans
I often serve these poached pears as part of an Ancient Roman meal.
The Ancient Romans ate a lot of pears and cheese. Lots of apples too. This dish would have sheep cheese, not cow's, and a good sprinkling of black pepper to make a tasty mensa secunda, the dessert.
Ancient Roman Recipes
There was a lot more to Ancient Roman food than exotic dishes served by slaves at orgies. Lavish feasts were commonplace among the rich, but ordinary people ...
Online Cooking Unit Conversion
- 2 medium pears
- 50 g 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 50 g 1/4 cup dolcelatte cheese
- 1 TBLespoon honey
- 150 ml 2/3 cup apple juice
- pinch of paprika
- chopped walnuts to taste
- In a large bowl mix together (by hand) the ricotta, honey and paprika. Crumble in the dolcelatte. Keep mixing until creamy
- Halve the pears lengthways and carefully remove the cores to make a hollow for the cheese filling.
- Divide the cheese filling equally between the pears, packing it into the hollows
- Place the pears in a single layer in your slow cooker
- Pour the apple juice over the pears and place the lid on
- Cook for 1 and 1/2 hours on high. Check if the pears are tender enough - you may need another half an hour on high
- Serve sprinkled with chopped walnuts
This mild blue cheese originally came from Lombardy but it's available just about everywhere now.
Dolcelatte (sweet milk) cheese is a.cow's milk cheese, rich and creamy in texture with a mild, sweet aroma and taste. Sometimes it's called Gorgonzola dolce (sweet gorgonzola)
Cheese Stuffed Pears Variation with Dates, Olives and Celery
Exactly the same recipe but this time with dates, olives and celery
Add to the ricotta cheese mix ..
- 6 green olives
- 4 dates
- 1/2 stick of celery
- Remove the pits from the olives and chop them roughly
- Remove the stones from the dates and slice into thin strips
- Finely slice the celery
- Add the olives, dates and celery to the cheese mix before you fill out the hollowed pears
In my part of Australia, we are known for our pears and for a couple of months each year my kitchen is swamped with them. Fresh pears are a versatile fruit, ...
Slow Cooking Basics for Safety in the Kitchen
Slow cookers are enjoying a return of popularity .. for very good reasons. A long cooking time lets you start the evening meal before leaving for work....
The Slow Cook
I'm a slow cook junkie. UnashamedlyI spent years cooking for a large family and, though rewarding enough while it lasted, my time is now my own. These days I...
What's Cooking in My Kitchen?
I'm happy to spend time in my kitchen. I have good appliances, a trusty gas cooker, sharp knives and lots of light. I keep my pantry stocked with the basics...
The Double Slow Cooker
I love my double slow cooker! Two stoneware removable cooking pots, each with 2-1/2-quart capacity and separate control knobs for low, high, and warm temperature settings