- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Sole Meuniere Recipe - A New Look at this Classic French Fish Dish
Classic French Fish Recipe
Sole Meuniere (miller's wife), is a classic and simple French fish dish, now mainly forgotten.
The miller's wife would have had access to plenty of flour to coat her Sole before cooking and was probably a good plain cook with few airs or graces.
Nowadays in our constant search for new and exciting cuisines from all over the World a lot of old rustic style cooking is being lost forever: Bad Idea!
We have adapted the original recipe just a little, with the addition of Olive oil and Garlic and the result is something very special. Just follow the step-by-step recipe below and you can be eating Great Sole Meuniere tonight.
Here's what you will need for four people.
- 4 Good sized fillets of Sole - Dover Sole is best, but Lemon Sole works well too.
- 2 Oz's./50g. of plain flour.
- 2 Oz's./50g. of butter.
- 2 Tablespoons of Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1 Large lemon (juice of).
- 2 Cloves of garlic (finely Chopped).
- 1 Hand full of flat leaf parsley (chopped).
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Now this is what you'll do.
- Season the flour with plenty of salt and black pepper and coat the Sole fillets well making sure to shake off any excess flour.
- Heat the oil and butter together in a large pan (the oil will stop the butter from burning) and add the fish fillets.
- cook gently on both sides for about ten minutes (depending on the the thickness of the fillets), until cooked and golden.
- Remove the fish from the pan and keep it warm.
- Now add the garlic to the pan and cook (gently) for about two minutes.
- Add the parsley and stir.
- Finally - whisk in the lemon juice - check for seasoning and you're ready to serve.
- Arrange the fish fillets on four plates and spoon over the sauce.
- Finish with a final sprinkling of parsley.
Click Here For other great Mediterranean Recipes from our website.
Or Click Here to experience our recipes first hand at our Periana Gastro Guesthouse in the Mountains behind Malaga, Spain.